No. of Recommendations: 9
Is there a convenient way to invest using a discount broker and still be able to do so on a bi-monthly basis so that you can take advantage of dollar cost averaging when purchasing stocks? I currently invest with a full service house and have an IRA portfolio consisting of all mutual funds and want to switch to a Foolish strategy using Accutrade, but don't understand how to continue automatically investing on a bi-monthly basis without getting eaten alive by commissions. This investment is for a retirement self-directed IRA. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Unless I misunderstand, you are putting money twice a month into an IRA. You do not have to buy stocks each time you put money in. You can let the amount build until you wish to buy a particular stock. This used to be easy as the money was in a money market that paid something as opposed to now when you are paid next to nothing.

To buy stocks where commissions are roughly $10 a trade on $50 makes no sense. Why would you even want to do this for less than $500 is beyond me. When I began, I waited until I had $15,000 before buying stocks. That may not be what you want to do but commissions do make a difference in your long term results.
Is this for real?

a reply to a 16 year old post?

Hope the OP figured the answer before now!

dozer
No. of Recommendations: 1
Is this for real?

a reply to a 16 year old post?

Hope the OP figured the answer before now!

We'll never know ... That was the first and last post the OP ever made.

culcha
First of all, you will have to decide your priorities. Select for a portfolio balance. Periodically re balance portfolio back to the target proportions. This feature will be availed to you by fixed proportions. This will consequently give benefits from bargain prices when the market drops.
Advertisement