UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: aman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75339  
Subject: Retirement Investing Date: 12/31/1997 11:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm a virgin and this is my first posting, so be gentle! I've been with a major international co.( Royal Dutch) for 20 years. Until recently our retirement monies where limited in their investments. The co. has gone with Fidelity to manage the funds. With Fidelity's mutal funds and the original investments (RD stock, equity fund(blue chip), thrift fund(money market) and savings bonds), what would be a sound way to invest the monies?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RecoveringFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1006 of 75339
Subject: Re: Retirement Investing Date: 12/31/1997 11:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
How long until you plan to retire and how much risk can you handle ? Where are your other assets ?

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1008 of 75339
Subject: Re: Retirement Investing Date: 12/31/1997 12:17 PM
Greetings, Aman, and welcome.

<<I'm a virgin and this is my first posting, so be gentle! I've been with a major international co.( Royal Dutch) for 20 years. Until recently our retirement monies where limited in their investments. The co. has gone with Fidelity to manage the funds. With Fidelity's mutal funds and the original investments (RD stock, equity fund(blue chip), thrift fund(money market) and savings bonds), what would be a sound way to invest the monies?>>

There are as many theories as to a "sound" way to invest retirement monies as there are people. It's all based on when you have to have the cash and your tolerance for the risks found in the marketplace. In general, I favor keeping money I definitely know I will need for living expenses within five years in short term, low risk vehicles like the money market, short term bonds, T-Bills, CDs and the like. They can still earn a modicum of return and won't see their principal fluctuate much as the market goes through its ups and downs. Money I don't need for five or more years goes into equities.

This is a retirement fund you're talking about. Are you five to ten years from retirement? Longer than ten years? What's your ability to sleep at night given the investments you make? The longer you have before you need the money, the more you should be willing to put at risk in the stock market.

Beyond that, there's not too much we can say. It's a personal choice we all face, and each of us does so in a different way. Given you have a choice of Fidelity funds, I'm sure you can find options within those to fit your comfort level.

Regards....Pixy

Author: aman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1009 of 75339
Subject: Re: Retirement Investing Date: 12/31/1997 1:37 PM
13 years at the earliest. I can handle a lot of risk. I do not plan to get out of the market until I retire and then will always keep a little in. Right now in my retirement portfolio I'm vested 35% RD stock, 20% Fid. Contra, 20% Fid. Value, 20% Fid. OTC & 5% Fid. Overseas. Any suggestions or stay pat.

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1010 of 75339
Subject: Re: Retirement Investing Date: 12/31/1997 2:46 PM
Aman,

<<Any suggestions or stay pat.>>

No suggestions. You have a fairly aggressive mix, so if you can stand the heat, there's no reason I see that you have to change anything. As I said before, if you're comfortable, that's all that counts.

Regards....Pixy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement