Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (58) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Retirement Locations Date: 5/27/2011 2:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Having just had a thread on where people retire & taxes, I thought I would post something I just got from Ally Bank's Straight Talk Blog.

Gordon
Atlanta

Blog Subject: Which are the Best (or Worst) States to Retire?

But which are the best or worst states to retire? Of course, there’s no definitive answer, but two studies from Money-Rates.com and TopRetirements.com offer some food for thought. MoneyRates’ study took into account states’ economics (cost of living, unemployment and average state and local tax burden), climate, crime rate and life expectancy.

According to their research, here are the best states to retire:
New Hampshire – Cost of living is 89% of the national average and cost of living and tax burden among the lowest in the U.S. Low crime as well.
Hawaii – One of the best climates and highest life expectancy. However, a very high cost of living.
South Dakota – Cost of living is 91% of the national average. Very low crime.
North Dakota – Life expectancy is among the highest in the U.S. Very low crime.
Iowa – Good combination of a low cost of living and a healthy economy, plus high life expectancy.

On the other hand, TopRetirements.com’s study looked only at states’ tax rates and fiscal health. Here’s what they found:
West Virginia – Low property tax.
Wyoming – No state income tax.
Pennsylvania – Low state income taxes for retirees.
Texas – No income taxes for retirees.

Both websites also researched which states were the worst places to retire. Using the same criteria as its previous study, here’s what MoneyRates.com found:
Nevada – Cost of living is 105% of the national average. The average state and local tax burden is 6.6 percent.
Michigan – High unemployment, chilly climate and high crime.
Alaska – Cost of living is 128% of the national average. Harsh climate.
South Carolina – Pleasant climate, but high crime rate and poor life expectancy.
Maryland – Cost of living is 126% of the national average. High crime.

And for its list of worst states to retire, TopRetirements.com looked at states’ fiscal health, tax burden and climate. Here are the results:
Illinois – Very poor fiscal health.
California – High cost of living and fiscally troubled.
New York – Very high taxes, including property taxes.
Rhode Island – High taxes and fiscally troubled.
New Jersey – Highest property taxes in the U.S.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17157 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/27/2011 3:55 PM
Recommendations: 1
South Carolina – Pleasant climate

?????

--fleg

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17158 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/27/2011 7:38 PM
Recommendations: 0

In the winter???

Don't find too many retirees moving to Ohio LOL.

Birgit

Author: temsike Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17159 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/27/2011 8:23 PM
Our main requirement for retirement is GREAT WEATHER. Wife and I want to be able to live in tee-shirts, shorts, and sandals 24/7 for 365.25 days per year.

Thus, the only thing in the US that comes close is the Central Coast of CA. We live there presently.

We are looking seriously at Costa Rica, Panama, and Nicaragua.

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17160 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/27/2011 8:58 PM
Many locations have a great climate - do assume Charlestown is the entire state any more than saying LA or all of California. Places like Greenville and Clemson for example are not particularly hot, reasonable with regard to humidity and have darn little snow.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17161 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/27/2011 9:10 PM
"Our main requirement for retirement is GREAT WEATHER. Wife and I want to be able to live in tee-shirts, shorts, and sandals 24/7 for 365.25 days per year."

Hawaiii...but very expensive....

t.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17162 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 12:16 AM
Recommendations: 5
South Carolina – Pleasant climate, but high crime rate and poor life expectancy.

Having moved to SC from CA, the climate didn't impress me. I found the Bay Area climate pretty close to perfect. I've lived in SC for 9 years and know nobody who's been victimized by crime (save my Mom getting her car keyed when she affixed a Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker ;-) The poor life expectancy is experienced by the poor, who get inferior medical care and diet (most things seem to be fried, sweetened, and salted to death). I've met plenty of elderly in SC in good health.

My favorite things about SC are nice people, beautiful beaches & tidal creeks, good food (if you avoid indulging in too many fried or heavily sweetened or salted dishes), peace & quiet. CHeap, fabulous local shrimp & flounder. Decent arts scene in CHarleston.

Still, we want to move to NYC to be closer to kids & grandkid. I'm subletting in the city now to babysit for our grandson--and absolutely love it! But what we can afford here for what we'll get for our house in SC is most likely a 1-BR, 1-BA apartment! But having spent 3 months every summer for the past 5 years in our RV--much smaller than apartment I'm considering, I know the hubster and I thrive with a single small bathroom, small kitchen, and generally simplified existence. Kinda zen, actually. Living in NYC reminds me of RVing--you spend most of your time out & about learning & doing new things, and do a lot of walking in the course of everyday life (as opposed to having to drive somewhere to get exercise). I can get really lazy in a suburban house, so cities suit me better. I was happy in San Francisco as well.

But another piece of my psyche wants to live on a commune!

=alstro, aging hippie

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17163 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 1:51 AM
Gordon, do you mean "Charlestown" as in a suburb of Boston, or "Charleston" as in SC?

As a note, Charleston, SC is a BEAUTIFUL area; however, it is very, very humid as is most of SC. Although, I live in SC, I prefer VA, especially along the coast where I grew up and around the mountainous areas.

Donna

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17164 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 4:49 AM
Places like Greenville and Clemson for example are not particularly hot, reasonable with regard to humidity and have darn little snow.

While I never lived in Greenville, SC we did visit so you and I have a very bid difference of opinion on what is "reasonable humidity"!

Utahtea

Author: shotzongoal Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17165 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 10:48 AM
Nevada – Cost of living is 105% of the national average. The average state and local tax burden is 6.6 percent.

What a croc!
Las Vegas area:
No state tax
No local tax
Property tax, $1700/yr for my 1900sq. ft. home
They are giving away homes here
We rode our bicycles every weekend all year long
Great entertainment

Oh yeah.......beer is cheap!

Author: SirTas Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17166 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 11:21 AM
Our main requirement for retirement is GREAT WEATHER. Wife and I want to be able to live in tee-shirts, shorts, and sandals 24/7 for 365.25 days per year.

Thus, the only thing in the US that comes close is the Central Coast of CA.

Sounds reasonable to me. But I would add Hawaii as another place in the U.S. you might want to consider. (Don't be scared of the high cost of living. If you really embrace the T-shirt, shorts, and sandals lifestyle, it brings costs way down.)

--SirTas

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17167 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 11:21 AM
Recommendations: 3
Pretty much the entire East coast and much of the midwest is hot & humid in the summer (I've lived in the Northeast, Southeast, Middle Atlantic, and northern midwest). The advantage of not being down south is that it tends to cool off elsewhere overnight. That's something I miss about CA--no matter how hot it gets during the day, it almost always cools off to the 60s at night. My favorite sleeping temperature is low 60s, so that worked for me.

I'm a little warm at night these days in my Harlem tenement, but my daughter lives right across the street with windows on 3 sides, and her place is much more comfortable. (Alas, I can't afford something as big as her place--plus they bought close to the trough in NYC prices. I'm so happy for them!) In looking around for my next NY apartment, I give good-doobie points for windows on 2 sides.

I heart NY, but climate-wise, I kinda long for the Rockies or Southwest. But if I were there, I'd miss city stuff. Another plus for Manhattan--I've been very healthy here, much healthier than I've been for years. One minor sinus infection in 5 months that I was able to take care of with herbal medicine (grapefruit seed extract, oreganol, and sambucol). In 9 years in SC, I never had a 5-month period without multiple ear infections, sinus infections, and usually a bout of bronchitis or pneumonia. And my husband never had allergies till we moved to SC.

Anyway, looks like for the near term anyhow, NYC plus RVing elsewhere. The Adirondacks are magnificent in summer. And Jan-Mar in the southern southwest sounds good, too. I've only been there in spring & summer so far.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17168 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 11:45 AM
NYC plus RVing elsewhere.

I assume that for now the RV lives in SC. Have you figured out where you'll store it when hubbie moves to NYC?

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17169 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 11:55 AM
The Adirondacks are nice but you can have two months of summer or almost no months of summer......

It can rain every weekend for the tourists if that pattern sets up.....

My sister has summer home on Lake George..spent many weeks there.

SOme years it is cool and wet....most of the summer, with maybe 10 decent days.

Other years you have 40 days of good weather.

On the east coast..the only way to get away from the high daily temps is to be up at elevation...there it cools off at night......say 4000 feet..... but then you get lots of snow in the winter...

t.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17170 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 1:01 PM
I assume that for now the RV lives in SC. Have you figured out where you'll store it when hubbie moves to NYC?

We may continue to keep the RV at the storage yard where it now resides in SC. After being wait-listed for a year, it's under a roof, we pay for the year in advance and get a free month ($1200 for 13 months--it was less without the roof, but that blazing Southern sun can do a number on the paint). If I can find a similar deal within a couple hours of Manhattan, I'd probably take it. But we're going to visit SC often with my elderly mother there anyhow.

=alstro, sweltering in Manhattan today...maybe I should be looking into somewhere along Hudson's Bay or at least high in the Catskills. After scoring 2 bags of produce at the small but awesome farmer's market in Morningside Hts, I went "home" to DD's A/C (they're out of town for the long weekend) and the hubster is fixing us a kulfi frappe at the moment in her Vitamix...ahhh.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17171 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 1:21 PM
I lived in Yonkers, just outside NYC, until I was eight years old and the family moved to CA. I well remember lying in bed at night soaked in my perspiration, unable to sleep due to the stultifying heat.

Southern CA can be like that, too, in the summer--and my father was too cheap to air-condition the house until I was well into high school.

Even way up north in Minneapolis, the humid summers were wilting.

Here in Portland, we average about 20 days per year when it gets above 90. That's 20 days too many but the humidity is a lot lower than in the places mentioned above. I'd be happy if it never got above 72. I find endless days of bright sunshine boring after a while and, unlike for many, the cool gray days are soothing, not depressing. So this is the perfect climate for me. Except for those 90-degree days.

--fleg

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17172 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 1:39 PM
It can rain every weekend....
My sister has summer home on Lake George...
SOme years it is cool and wet...

I know many people prefer the familiarity of going to the same home on vacation, and others prefer the anonymity/convenience of hotels/motels, but the advantage of an RV is that, like a vacation home, you have a certain familiarity and all the stuff you want with you, yet you can go where the weather pleases you at the time. Unlike hotels/motels, there's never any disappointment (or asthma attacks due to cleaning/air freshening products-).

We camped by Lake Champlain last summer (hard by the Adirondacks for those who don't know their upstate NY geography) and enjoyed glorious weather--warm sun, cool breeze. Nice state campground, too. Due to commitments, we needed to leave before really seeing the Adirondack area, so we look forward to doing that on another trip. Also look forward to checking out the Vermont side of Lake Champlain. (Howard Dean country, land of the first universal health care and one of the first in marriage equality...I'd like to leave some tourist dollars in capable Vermont hands :-)

The advantage of retirement over working is that you can go whenever and wherever you like and stay as long as you like (presuming you can afford it, of course). While the hubster teaches, we're limited to his school breaks, although that's nearly a month in winter and nearly 3 in summer so I don't complain (much).

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17173 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 2:14 PM
Recommendations: 2
Here in Portland, we average about 20 days per year when it gets above 90. That's 20 days too many but the humidity is a lot lower than in the places mentioned above. I'd be happy if it never got above 72. I find endless days of bright sunshine boring after a while and, unlike for many, the cool gray days are soothing, not depressing. So this is the perfect climate for me. Except for those 90-degree days.

I bet I'd like it there (amongst* all those liberals ;-) as long as the gray days aren't too dark. But alas, too far from loved ones. I hope our next major RV trip will be to the PNW and British Columbia. With a stop at Glacier NP en route (and my beloved Wisconsin and South Dakota), and California on the way back--if they don't close all of their state parks :-( We'll wait till DH is retired coz I'll want 4-6 months for this trip.

* I was deciding between amongst and among and decided to look it up and ran across a most awesome web site for language lovers:

http://www.differencebetween.net

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17174 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 3:21 PM
I was deciding between amongst and among and decided to look it up and ran across a most awesome web site for language lovers:

http://www.differencebetween.net

Bookmarked.
Thanks!

Chili

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17175 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 4:23 PM
"I lived in Yonkers, just outside NYC, until I was eight years old and the family moved to CA. I well remember lying in bed at night soaked in my perspiration, unable to sleep due to the stultifying heat.

July and August are horrible in NYC

I worked there one summer...yuk......everything radiates heat 24 hours a day in the summer.....

I lived in NJ..we didn't get A/c until i was about 10 years old..then a wall unit in the living room and a wall unit upstairs used sparingly.......

We escaped on summer weekends to the summer place......no a/c.....but shaded..and a lake to swim in......

NYC Is brutal outside in the summer.....yuk......

t.

Author: gdett2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17176 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 4:45 PM
Reading all these messages about how brutal NYC is in the summer, makes me feel quite comfortable here.

I was spraying trees and cactus for 3 hours yesterday afternoon with my 4 gallon backpack sprayer. When I got back to the house around 4 PM, I found it was 107, I told my wife I would quit for the day.

Gene

Author: fun2bretired Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17177 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 4:53 PM
We are looking seriously at Costa Rica, Panama, and Nicaragua.

Living in Panama getting very expensive, Costa Rica, is really high.

Medical in great in Panama at private hospital but everyone there is covered by the government. Can't figure out why we can't do it.

Author: SirTas Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17178 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 6:06 PM

?????

We've been living in SC since 1986. To me, it's not the best climate (I found places in CA and HI better), but it's better than other states I've lived in (NY, NJ, WV, OH, MO, and MN). The worst season I think is the summer, but it's really nice 3/4 of the year.

We're located way up in the northwest corner, in what people around here call the upstate.

We're in the Blue Ridge foothills. The highest point in the county is 3560 feet above sea level. From here to Charleston is about 200 miles and it's all downhill.

The puzzling thing is where to go for retirement. One standard answer is to go someplace cheap with good weather -- but we're already here --we just came a bit early, DW says.

--SirTas

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17179 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 6:10 PM
July and August are horrible in NYC

It's pretty toasty today, too. But this morning we walked 2/3 mile RT to the farmer's market. And we just got back from 2.5 miles mostly through Central Park to exchange the size of an outfit for my grandson (hubby wanted to take the bus back, so we did, but I was game for the return walk--got my city legs now!). It's not so humid this afternoon, which helps, but late this morning, laden with a big bag o' produce, I was dripping with sweat.

Speaking of A/C...we didn't have it when I grew up in the NYC burbs in the 50/60s till older bro's allergies convinced the folks to spring for an A/C in my brothers' shared bedroom. A couple years later, my parents got one for themselves. My room was never air conditioned until they got central A/C as part of a remodel many years later, long after I left home. To keep cool in summer, I slept on the asphalt tile floor, directly on the concrete slab. That's also how I kept warm in winter--we had radiant heat.

=cinderella ;-)

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17180 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 7:02 PM
Recommendations: 5
I bet I'd like it there (amongst* all those liberals ;-) ... and California on the way back--if they don't close all of their state parks

The reason the CA state parks might be closed is policies drawn up by those liberals you like to be around:

http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2011/04/government-age...

my business, which is private operation of certain state-run activities (e.g. parks and recreation). I constantly find myself in the midst of arguments that make no sense against privatization. I finally realized that the reason for this is that they were reluctant to voice the real reason for opposition -- that I would get the job done paying people less money. This is totally true -- I actually hire more people to staff the parks than the government does, but I don't pay folks $65,000 a year plus benefits and a pension to clean the bathrooms, and I don't pay them when the park is closed and there is not work to do. I finally had one person in California State Parks be honest with me -- she said that the employees' position was that they would rather see the parks close than run without government workers.

Of course, if this argument was made clear in public, that the reason for rising taxes and closing parks was to support pay and benefits of government employees [who own the party that controls CA government], there might be a fight. So the true facts need to be buried.

--fleg

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17181 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 8:23 PM
A warm 97 in Dallas....the pool is nice in the evenings when it is that warm.

Only 84 tomorrow and 80s day after.

lots of sun for those enjoying the 3 day holiday.

Us retired folks get all 7 days to enjoy ...

t.

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17182 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 8:31 PM
<<Also look forward to checking out the Vermont side of Lake Champlain. (Howard Dean country, land of the first universal health care and one of the first in marriage equality...I'd like to leave some tourist dollars in capable Vermont hands :-)>>

If I had my 'druthers, I would live in northern Vermont during the summer and return to SC for the winter. But, alas, I don't have my 'druthers.

Donna

Author: IBPore Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17183 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 8:45 PM
Of course, if this argument was made clear in public, that the reason for rising taxes and closing parks was to support pay and benefits of government employees [who own the party that controls CA government], there might be a fight. So the true facts need to be buried.

--fleg

There's a party that controls CA government? The government that can't even enact a budget? The govenrment that does a great imitation of grid-lock? That government?

Of course, if it's in coyote blog, it must be true, right?

I do agree that much work should be outsourced to the least expensive qualified bidder, like trash collection. It is truly less expensive.

IB Pore

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17184 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/29/2011 1:12 AM
Recommendations: 11
Of course, if it's in coyote blog, it must be true, right?

The author of Coyote blog makes his living from his business running parks and campgrounds, some of them under contract from various states. That gives him a certain amount of credibility, don't you think?

Anyway, here's a good example of where the money that should be available for CA state parks went:

http://www.freedompolitics.com/articles/brown-2602-state-tax...

Jerry Brown recently approved a new contract for the prison guards union. Henceforth, guards can cash out at retirement an unlimited number of unused vacation days. Most California employees can monetize only 80 accrued days. Many guards will receive lump sums exceeding $100,000. The Legislative Analyst's Office estimates that guards possess time worth $600 million. The union contributed almost $2 million to Brown's 2010 campaign.

In 1980, 10% of the state's general fund went to higher education and 3% to prisons; in 2010, almost 11% went to prisons and 7.5% to higher education. The national average incarceration cost is $29,000 per inmate per year. California's cost is $45,000, about $3,000 more than a year's tuition at Dartmouth.

The prison guards union only had to give Brown $2 million for him to sell out the taxpayers of California? What a cheap whore he is.

--fleg

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17185 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/29/2011 11:01 AM
<<There's a party that controls CA government? The government that can't even enact a budget? The govenrment that does a great imitation of grid-lock? That government?>>

Of course there are various mpolitical parties that control California government ---- not necessarily Ds and Rs. Certainly labor unions are one of those political parties/political interest groups that control aspects of California government when they have the power to do so.

I think we saw that power demonstrated in Minnesota recently, when unions felt their power threatened pretty directly.

You are thinking of political parties in too narrow a sense. Political parties are any political coalition aimed at controlling some aspect of government power.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17186 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/29/2011 2:23 PM
As a follow-up of sorts, this article just appeared in this morning's paper:

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2011/05/pers_st...

The prospect of budget-busting costs to bail out the state's public employee retirement fund has been dogging government employers across Oregon since the financial market meltdown in 2008.

Contribution increases kick in come July, adding $1.1 billion to taxpayers pension fund tab for the 2011-2013 budget cycle, effectively doubling their PERS bill.

Nice, and many thanks to the Democrat office holders of the past for setting this up (and who, just coincidentally I'm sure, get the bulk of their campaign contributions from the public employee unions). While private-sector workers face stagnant or reduced wages if they're lucky enough to remain employed, they also get to see more of their taxes go to ensure that public employee union members get to retire on cushy pensions and with great health-care benefits at age 55 (while less of their taxes goes to state services they might benefit from, like state parks).

There may not be any state cops out there keeping the highways safe anymore, but the gratitude of that DMV clerk whose early retirement and doctor visits we're paying for more than makes up for it.

--fleg

Author: dbphd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17187 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/29/2011 4:58 PM
This thread seems to have taken a political tack, but returning to weather, here in the greater Santa Barbara area, summer highs in the 80°s and 50° in the winter are fodder for the local news. In our little town of Montecito, adjacent to SB, you can live close to the beach and have morning fog in the summer that clears around noon or live a quarter mile inland where fog is rare. We live a block from the beach and enjoy the morning fog.

db

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17188 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/29/2011 6:31 PM
<<There may not be any state cops out there keeping the highways safe anymore, but the gratitude of that DMV clerk whose early retirement and doctor visits we're paying for more than makes up for it.

--fleg >>

These difficulties can be remedied by a nice sales tax in Oregon, don't you think fleg? That way you can have fat pensions and plenty of Highway Patrol types to issue you tickets as well.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17189 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/29/2011 7:33 PM
These difficulties can be remedied by a nice sales tax in Oregon, don't you think fleg?

I'll see your OR sales tax and raise you a WA income tax.

Someone said earlier in this thread that taxation is not usually a big factor in choosing where to live, and I generally agree with that. When I retired we wanted to get out of CA and DW wanted to work some additional years. That narrowed our choices to areas where her company had branch offices she could commute to. That meant Portland or Seattle in the PNW and we didn't want to live in Seattle--in spite of the savings of maybe a hundred thousand in state income tax over time, the higher cost of housing would have eaten up the savings. Clearly taxation was one factor among many.

A couple of years after we moved, they shut down the Portland office and outfitted her to work from home. That meant we could live anywhere as long as there was an airport nearby for her business trips. I wanted to move 15 miles north to the other side of the Columbia and save ourselves the state income tax going forward, but she was already too firmly rooted here and wouldn't move. Again, taxation took a back seat to other factors.

If she had had the option to work at home from the start, we would likely have ended up in the Vancouver part of WA, which is part of the greater Portland metro area, and had similar housing costs to Portland but without the income tax. Oh, well.

Every once in a while the specter of a sales tax raises its ugly head here and gets beaten back down--as in WA the specter of an income tax does the same thing. Usually the OR proposals include a reduction of income tax to make up for the sales tax but you know how that goes--having two different taxes that can be raised on you is more dangerous than having one.

--fleg

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17190 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/29/2011 10:04 PM
<<These difficulties can be remedied by a nice sales tax in Oregon, don't you think fleg?

I'll see your OR sales tax and raise you a WA income tax. >>

I was in Portland a week ago to see my nephew graduate from Reed College with a BA in the Arts (music).

What I liked best was having signs announcing the name of arterials a block before you got to the street. Nice gesture towards those new to the city.

My favorite visit to Portland was when I was taking my boat from the mouth of the Columbia to Lewiston, Idaho. I came in from downstream via the Multnomah Channel, seeing all the nice houseboats that line the channel, then came up the Willamette River into the heart of the downtown area and tied up to a nice public dock while I walked about town.

Can't beat that!~

Seattle Pioneer

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17191 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/30/2011 12:14 AM
Retiring to a place where taxes aren’t onerous is a consideration yet not always a determining factor. Mine is water: I want to be close enough so I can see it. So I chose White Rock, a small seaside town on the Georgia Strait. We have a house on the bluff and overlook the main part of town and beyond that the sea and on the horizon the Gulf Islands.

There’s something about being next to water. It satisfies me.

MichaelR

Author: OxBeaux Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17192 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/30/2011 8:41 AM

MichaelR

Me too. I've opted for a swimming pool in the back yard in the desert.

OxBeaux

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17193 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/30/2011 11:05 AM
<<Retiring to a place where taxes aren’t onerous is a consideration yet not always a determining factor. Mine is water: I want to be close enough so I can see it. So I chose White Rock, a small seaside town on the Georgia Strait. We have a house on the bluff and overlook the main part of town and beyond that the sea and on the horizon the Gulf Islands.>>

Beautiful location!

Where do you do most of your salmon fishing?

Do you have occasion to visit Sucia Island or Point Roberts, or are the restrictions on entering American territory a significant barrier these days. I believe that used to be a lot more informal for locals in the good old days.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17194 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/30/2011 3:51 PM
Where do you do most of your salmon fishing?

Do you have occasion to visit Sucia Island or Point Roberts, or are the restrictions on entering American territory a significant barrier these days. I believe that used to be a lot more informal for locals in the good old days.

Seattle Pioneer

Mostly in the Gulf Islands both Canadian and US waters. I have fishing licenses for both. Sometimes further north at Campbell River in the late runs.

I trailer my boat across the border at Blaine and launch there since there’s a good ramp.

Never had a problem with any of the Canadian fisheries boats or Homeland Security on the water. In fact, I have found both to be polite and respectful..

MichaelR

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17195 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/30/2011 5:32 PM
White Rock, a small seaside town on the Georgia Strait. We have a house on the bluff and overlook the main part of town and beyond that the sea and on the horizon the Gulf Islands.

It sounds like a wonderful place. I love the ocean too, grew up going to Jones Beach on Long Island practically every weekend. When I was raising my own family, we rented a friend's sloop for a week's sailing trip every summer (out of Narragansett Bay). We still love visiting small seaside towns, soaking in the ambiance, enjoying the local seafood, poking into any maritime-related museums/visitors centers, walking along the docks and inspecting the boats and listening to the gulls. OK, now I need to plan a seaside jaunt in NYC next weekend!

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17196 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/31/2011 1:22 AM
It sounds like a wonderful place. I love the ocean too, grew up going to Jones Beach on Long Island practically every weekend. When I was raising my own family, we rented a friend's sloop for a week's sailing trip every summer (out of Narragansett Bay). We still love visiting small seaside towns, soaking in the ambiance, enjoying the local seafood, poking into any maritime-related museums/visitors centers, walking along the docks and inspecting the boats and listening to the gulls. OK, now I need to plan a seaside jaunt in NYC next weekend!

Astroemeria

White Rock’s main drag is Marine Drive and from East Beach to West Beach it’s wall-to-wall dining. Sure, a few shops selling clothing but mostly restaurants ranging from tablecloths in West Beach to fish-n-chips in newspaper in East Beach.

Way back when White Rock was a small seaside town where families would spend the summer in cottages and there would be a Friday night Daddy Train bringing home husbands working in Vancouver. These cottages were pulled down and more substantial homes built as more retirees moved in. Then these got pulled down and three-storey mega homes were erected.

Elly and I have lived here for the past 20 years and have seen property values skyrocket. Land is scarce: we paid $350,000 back then and now the house is about a mil and it’s all because of the land value. View property being the most expensive.

But history aside I do spend warm summer days sitting on the balcony enjoying the view while sipping on a cold beer and realizing there’s truth in ‘If I had known how happy I was to be I would never have allowed myself to be unhappy’.

MichaelR

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17197 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/31/2011 3:05 PM
Recommendations: 10
Most of the "lists" are sort of silly, when you come right down to it.

How can anyone else tell YOU where YOU will be happiest in retirement?

As far as we were concerned, the only thing of interest to us was WHERE WILL WE BE HAPPY WHEN WE RETIRE?

We had been coming here, camping and visiting the state, for maybe 30 years (along with other states), and simply loved the area. The independence of most of the people we met, the gorgeous countryside, the peace and quiet, fresh air, and much more.

We've been here now for over ten years, and we just plain love it! We are NOT rich, by a long shot, but we live modestly and quietly in a comfortable home that we've improved since buying it, in a small community, high on a ridge, on several acres, on a dirt road.

When the weather is cool and pleasant, we leave the windows open, and it's just about as quiet all the time, night or day, with the windows open or closed. Except for an occasional car going by slowly, we hear mostly just the wind whispering in the trees, birds chirping, or our own cat snoring somewhere!

Nope - it's not for everyone, but we knew what we wanted, and we went for it.

Taxes? You have those everywhere, really.

Unemployment? Excuse me, but the question was about RETIRING, not working, so what difference would that make?

Chilly climate? Do you LIKE sweltering temperatures? We don't, so we'll happily take bundling up more when it gets cold. To each his or her own.

By the way, weatherwise, we rarely get tornadoes here (with sympathy for those who do, in other parts of the country), hurricanes tend to at least partially weaken before reaching us, earhquakes CAN happen but are usually weak and rare (fingers crossed!), hot weather is usually only here for a short time, and we usually get SNOW vs ICE in the winter because it is colder than it is in southern New England.

Bottom line:

By all means read and find out all you can, and consider what matters to you before choosing where to retire, but I also urge people to TRY the area, too, if they can, before leaping.

Vermont's not for everyone (thank God!) -- nor is any other state.

Vermonter

Author: Davem105 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17198 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/31/2011 3:52 PM
I don't know, I guess we'll stay here in this crummy San Juaquin valley cause its what we can afford. We need a place with good transit and I want a place where they won't raise their eyebrows if I put up a ham radio antenna in the back yard.

Author: gdett2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17199 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/31/2011 4:42 PM
Vermonter,

You hit most my touch points for living in the country except the snoring cat! If Maggie started snoring, ... well.

Gene

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17200 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/31/2011 6:04 PM
Gene:

LOL! We have two kitties, and one has asthma, which causes her to snore -- sometimes louder than my wife. (!)

Yes, it's lovely out there right now. I was just on the deck looking over at the mountains and enjoying the air. But it's cooler inside, thanks to our A/C!

Vermonter

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17201 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/31/2011 6:36 PM
<<We need a place with good transit and I want a place where they won't raise their eyebrows if I put up a ham radio antenna in the back yard.>>

Another damn "6"!

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Davem105 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17202 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/31/2011 6:45 PM
Translation please? AKA, huh?

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17203 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 6/1/2011 6:35 AM
Dave:

You're a ham, too? So am I! Doing FD this year?

I'll be on as a 1B Battery solo again, same as last year. You can see me in the results -- 6th.

Vermonter

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17204 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 6/1/2011 6:36 AM
SP:

Another damn 6? Hmmm... you a "7" then?

Vermonter

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17205 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 6/1/2011 10:08 AM
By the way, unlike the national average just seen on the news, Vermont's home prices have basically held their own, and have actually RISEN a bit recently, mainly because they never really tanked in the first place.

Oh -- and Vermont's unemployment? Last time I saw that mentioned on the news, I think they said it was about 5.6 percent. How's that? Better then the national average, by far! No, not all the jobs are high paying, but some are.

Vermont is a bit more stable than some of the other states. "Boring", maybe, in some ways, but not a bad place to be!

Vermonter, who still loves his adopted state, for many reasons.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17206 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 6/1/2011 11:39 AM
<<SP:

Another damn 6? Hmmm... you a "7" then?

Vermonter >>

Yep.....

Seattle Pioneer

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17207 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 6/1/2011 11:42 AM
Well, I'll be... Another curmudgeon ham...

Check last year's FD results (6th nationally in 1B QRP) or c.w. SS results (1st in QRP for New England) and you'll know my call. I just don't post it for obvious reasons.

Vermonter

Author: Davem105 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17208 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 6/1/2011 7:29 PM
Well I guess that makes you another damned (seven). I'm even worse, I've got a WA call and its not a vanity. Not an original either, they reissued when I got my general back in '73. Still an old goat though. <lol>

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17209 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 6/1/2011 8:16 PM
<<Well I guess that makes you another damned (seven). I'm even worse, I've got a WA call and its not a vanity. Not an original either, they reissued when I got my general back in '73. Still an old goat though. <lol>>>

My homebrew 40 meter CW transmitter with a couple of crystals was pretty limiting, so I tended to work a LOT of Callie fornia stations.

I don't think I ever worked a Vermonter!

Seattle Pioneer

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17210 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 6/1/2011 8:52 PM
I got a 4 call but don't live in the '4' area any more....

t.

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17211 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 6/3/2011 3:00 PM
SP:

Set up a sked if you want!

I regularly contact all states and provinces every year in a single weekend in the c.w. Sweepstakes -- on low power with a wire antenna.

Vermonter (old goat with the same call for 55+ years)

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17212 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 6/3/2011 3:01 PM
We should all take this thread to the "Radio Waves - All Things Radio" board!

Vermonter

Author: malaoshi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17332 of 19483
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 7/14/2011 3:07 PM
Let us know if you are coming to California...I don't know the local laws about parking an RV in our driveway, but we have a spare bedroom and we are in Foster City on the water.I think you have our address but I'll send it again just in case.
Big Momma

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (58) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement