UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58778  
Subject: Retirement meeting today--questions? Date: 10/22/2012 9:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
We're meeting with the retirement benefits lady in HR this afternoon. Here are the questions I thought of--can you think of anything to add?

HEALTH INSURANCE
Can he switch health insurance at annual enrollment after retirement or are we stuck with the initial choice we make this month?

After he turns 65 and before I do, am I properly covered under the current insurance and he in the conversion to Medicare supplemental (I'm about 6 months younger)?

Can we move back & forth between private Medicare supplemntals and the state group plan, or once we leave we cannot return?

Does he sign up for retirement insurance just like usual for annual enrollment, or is there a different form or process?

PENSION
How does he apply for it and when does it start arriving? Do we need to do anything to have the insurance premiums automatically deducted from the pension?

How much is it with 100% survivor option, 50%, and none? How many unused days off is he carying over?

Can he postpone it for a higher benefit (e.g., wait till he turns 64 or 65)?

SHOULD WE LOOK INTO DISABILITY RETIREMENT* or does that take too long at this point (online info seems to say it's dependent on SS disability, which can take 1-2 years to qualify for, and he's already 63 1/2).

* My husband's retiring unexpectedly after this semester insttead of after spring semester. He has a speech problem due to micro-strokes in the language processing area of his brain. It's become too difficult to lecture when you trip over most words of at least 3 syllables.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement