UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: lsaunders One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 169  
Subject: Retirement Plan Advice - Blueprint Date: 10/28/2009 4:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
A family member is asking for a "Blueprint" to prepare for retirement in terms of a guide to create their plan. Here is what I've put together --- what have I missed? Any insights for this Blueprint? Or is there a similar document already in existence on TMF I can refer them to?

1. Determine your monthly expenditures. Track this across a year to create an annual (with monthly breakdowns) budget.

2. Pay down your debt concertedly. Plan on retiring with your residence paid off and no other debt preferably.

3. Using a maximum 4% annual withdrawal rate, calculate the draw down you can expect from your fixed/equity investments. This would be added to any other revenue streams you're expecting (ie. pensions, rent from properties, SS, inheritance) to determine how much income you can expect. There are number of online retirement calculators available to help you with this. One I've used is available on www.retireearlyhomepage.com. This will help you determine how much money you'll need to accumulate before pulling that retirement trigger.

4. Plan how you'll be spending that extra time you'll have on your hands - hobbies, sports, volunteer work etc. Include any expensive hobby/sport/travel items into your annual budget calculations.

5. Live below your means, save, invest diligently and keep your eye on that retirement number you need before joining the happy FIRE crowd.

6. Healthcare is a big (and growing cost) for retirees. Make sure you research what your costs are likely to be and include that into your annual budget, if you won't be covered under a retirement pension plan.

7. Another item to watch is your tax deferred accounts. I'm no expert here, but you should research at what age you need to start taking withdrawals. I believe it's 59 1/2, but I could be wrong on that. There can be stiff penalties.

8. Be very careful if you are heavily relying on SS. There is a lot of debate as to whether it will be in existence down the road. The same could be said for pensions, depending upon the company's health.

Is this too simple?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement