UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: SaraW946 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Retirement planning Date: 4/8/2013 11:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm afraid this is going to be a long post, but I have several questions on retirement planning for which I would very much appreciate your input. In the end, of course, I am responsible for making a decision and buying whatever funds I choose, so I will under no circumstances consider any advice giver as responsible for any mishaps. :) Also: please note that I am a foreigner who now lives in the US permanently, and I have been seriously delving into the American retirement systems and strategies for the last year or so. For this reason, things that might seem evident to you, are not necessarily so to me.

At the moment, I have a regular portable state retirement plan in Illinois, one Traditional IRA, and one 403b plan, besides by brokerage account that includes stocks and mutual funds. I self-manage all but the Illinois state plan. Unfortunately I cannot transfer nor roll-over a European state retirement fund I have which will sadly give me very little in terms of pension when the time comes. As things look right now, I am looking at a 30-year career and active investing for retirement, provided all will go well with me in terms of health. :)

My Traditional IRA, 403b, and brokerage accounts are all with Fidelity. I contribute the maximum allowed to my IRA and about half of what I am allowed to my 403b. The questions I have:

1) My 403b, which I started about a year ago, is invested in two Fidelity mutual funds: Fidelity® Equity-Income Fund - Class K (FEIKX) and Fidelity® Low-Priced Stock Fund - Class K (FLPKX). So far I've been very happy with its returns. Do you guys believe it would be a good idea to continue contributing to those two sole funds without adding a third or changing? And under what circumstances does one change funds?

2) My Traditional IRA, which includes contributions from three years, was initially managed by a very bad financial advisor, has grown slightly. It is invested in three funds, the first two were chosen by the financial advisor, the third one by me. These are: Franklin Growth Fund Class A (FKGRX) which is horrible; FRANKLIN RISING DIVIDENDS CLASS A (FRDPX) which is OKish but I don't like it either; and Fidelity Spartan Total Market Index Fund (FSTMX) which I chose and like so far.

I am thinking of replacing FRANKLIN RISING DIVIDENDS CLASS A (FRDPX) with Vanguard Dividend Growth Fund (VDIGX), and am considering the LifeStrategy Growth Fund (VASGX) to replace FRANKLIN RISING DIVIDENDS CLASS A (FRDPX).

3) Last, but not least, through my brokerage account, I have also bought Fidelity Contrafund (FCNTX) and Vanguard Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares (VTSMX). While I've been regularly adding money to Contrafund every month with no issues, I discovered today that VTSMX has a $75 fee every time I buy shares! Naive, you'll argue, but as I said, this is all new to me as a foreigner.

Do you have any advice on strategy? I like VTSMX, but I don't want to be paying such a steep fee every month, so would it be a better solution if I open an account with Vanguard and buy the fund through them with no fee? I still need to find out if there is a minimum I need to invest so that I can forfeit the fee which is possible.

Thanks for taking the time to read all that and I apologize if it's a little confusing. I would be very grateful for any input or advice on my options.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement