UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: vinanton5 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: retirement suggestions Date: 6/5/2005 8:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
first of all thanks to everyone who will offer me any suggestion. i am just trying to get a few more ideas for my retirement savings. a little info about me to i am a 25 y/o officer in the Army, just hit my 3 year mark) will pin captain in the next 2 months or so. my question is two fold, 1)how should i allocate my extra money from hitting the 3 year mark and captain (which will total to 900/month) and 2) i want to look at the level i am funding the TSP since it is not matched for uniformed personnel.

i completely fund my Roth IRA ($333/mo). listed are most of the contents in the roth:
ebay $1800
ibm $1500
ryn $1500 (Raynier, Timber REIT)
sbc $900
siri $500
sjt $950 (San Juan Basin Royality Trust, pipeline REIT)
usspx $2200 (USAA S&P 500 index fund)
xle $1500
vwinx $3600 (Vanguard Wellesey Fund)
vtivx $1600 (Vanguard target 2045)
wmmvf $400
...i do not pay too much attention to classifications of stock/mutual funds, i just pretty much buy what i think will do well.

i also have the tsp (government 401k plan) where the army does NOT match my contributions, i corrently contribute about $700 a month to that because i am deployed in a combat zone and get plenty of extra pay. of note, under current rules the money i put in while deployed will come out tax free since it was earned tax free. my current tsp totals between 7-8k and the fund breakdown follows:
G- 9% (Government Bond fund)
F- 9% (Fixed Income Fund)
C- 27% (Common Stock Fund)
S- 28% (Small Cap Fund)
I- 27% (international Fund)

in addition i have 20k in various years of EE bonds with absolutely no plan to do anything with them. and a brokerage account which i buy more stocks i think will go up. that account is roughly 7-8k with the following contents:
smtc $2200 (made about 800% profit
pgh $1900
vfltx $3100 (FL tax exempt bond fund)

next i have my emergency fund which is currently $1500 invested in the USAA Income Fund (Bond fund), which i contribute $70 monthly, but i dont really have a need to build 3-6 months expenses very rapidly since i have a guaranteed job with the army through 2007. and the army pays all medical, my only real need for this is a major home repair.

I began 3 DRIPs recently as well in which i fund $50/mo to WTR, AEP, and PNY.

i have only 3 major expenses mortgage $850/mo (i am currently renting my house for $950/mo becuase i am deployed...while getting a housing allowance from the army of $800/mo, so i could make 2 mortgage payments a month easily), a .9% interest loan which i pay $415/mo and will pay off in mid 2007 and my car which is $240 on a 0% interest loan that will be paid off end of 2006. and under $900 in credit card debit which will be paid off in 2-3 months, only 4% APR.

the only other thing i can think of is a traditional IRA and possible reallocation of my current assests. any/all thoughs and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

vinny

p.s. i am currently serving as the fire support officer for base defense of Abu Ghraib prison, an extremely exciting job.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement