No. of Recommendations: 0
If anyone has any suggestions about what the best approach for investing for our father, who is 46 this year, please let me know. My brother and I are setting up a trust and are looking for the best investment approaches as to how to gain in a span of 20 years. Please, any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

Maxwellboltzman
Print the post Back To Top
Greetings, Max, and welcome. You asked:

<<If anyone has any suggestions about what the best approach for investing for our father, who is 46 this year, please let me know. My brother and I are setting up a trust and are looking for the best investment approaches as to how to gain in a span of 20 years. Please, any suggestions are welcomed.>>

With retirement 20 years away, you're looking at a long time horizon. That's a particularly good reason to invest in stocks, which have a history of beating everything else over that long of a period. However, how and whether you do that is strictly up to you. If you're looking for ideas, check out the Foolish Workshop and Dow areas of Fooldom where various stock strategies are discussed in depth.

Regards….Pixy

If anyone has any suggestions about what the best approach for investing for
our father, who is 46 this year, please let me know. My brother and I are
setting up a trust and are looking for the best investment approaches as to
how to gain in a span of 20 years. Please, any suggestions are welcomed.

You do not say why you are saving for him so I will assume he can not.

A trust can be expensive from a tax standpoint. Assume you two will be trustees so no fees and minimal other expenses. Might want to check your final plan with an elder attorny. There maybe alot of issues you are not considering.

If you can put money into his IRA I would do that. He would have total control but you could handle the paper work for him.

I would lean toward saving the money in your own name and not a trust. The problem is that you have the money if you are sued or need college loans etc.

A problem with the trust is that you are making gifts to your father and the gifts are probably not of present interest. This gives you gift tax problems. Trusts can be set up to eliminate the problem. My point is that you need good professional tax and leagal help to do this.

It is nice that you are willing to help out. Good luck.
Advertisement