Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: olero Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 294  
Subject: Retiring Next Month Date: 12/26/2000 6:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am planning to retire next month. If I can make 10% on my retirement savings and retirement lump sum payment, this would equal my current income.

I also have over 6 six months worth of cash in savings and no debt. I am also in my middle fifties with no serious health proplems.

The planner that I have been talking to recommends that I put 20% into Van Kampen Emerging Growth Fund, 20% into Van Kampen Enterprise Fund, 20% into Van Kampen Growth and Income Fund, with the 40% in some kind of bond fund all of which are load funds.

1. The Van Kampen Emerging Growth Fund is an Aggressive Growth Fund. (High Risk)
2. The Van Kampen Enterprise Fund is a Growth Fund. (Moderate Risk)
3. The Van Kampen Growth and Income Fund is a Growth and Income Fund. (Low Risk)
4. Some kind of bond fund which pays a fixed rate.

My experience is very limited in investments. The above appears to be very diversified with good management (long term). Considering the current market all of the above funds is on the minus side however this may be close to the time to buy.

What recommendations can you offer? Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Russ

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement