UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1491  
Subject: Retiring On Less Due to Injury or Unemployment Date: 12/5/2004 4:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Labor force participation rates start to decline rather sharply for men and women after age fifty. I'm sure increasing numbers of people are displaced from employment by a changing economy, injury and disability.

No doubt a lot more people in those situations retire than those who retire early and are financially independent.

Since I live in a working class neighborhood, I see rather more people living in motor homes and trailers on the street than I like. I'm not quite sure if such people are Retired WELL, but it seems a pretty safe bet that they are retired on less!

Cutting housing costs by living for a song in an old tracel trailer, getting food from food banks and praying for good health might not be the way most on this board would choose to retire well on less, but it's probably the most common way to retire on less.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: preben Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 796 of 1491
Subject: Re: Retiring On Less Due to Injury or Unemployme Date: 12/5/2004 11:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Good point SP.
While not so radical I budget with a nice aparment in Bangkok in FIRE (either own/rent) but I have seen OK condos (1 room with kichenette+small balcony/bath room) renting for $125 /month + $25 for utilities/cable. I could, if experience long, bad market, down scale without much pain (am single/no kids as can imagine LOTS of pain if married! ; ) . Cheers! Ben

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 802 of 1491
Subject: Re: Retiring On Less Due to Injury or Unemployme Date: 12/7/2004 12:24 AM
Another way to cut housing costs is to buy your residence while the local market is depressed. I was able to do just that and thus my mortgage for many years was comparable to what preben said Thai rents are going for.

Author: Blackduff Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 803 of 1491
Subject: Re: Retiring On Less Due to Injury or Unemployme Date: 12/7/2004 4:16 AM
Preben
Just out of curiosity, do you eat "in house" or do you out mostly. I would think that eating in restaurants or with hawkers would be very cheap. Maybe you could let us know how much it would to cost for a average monthly food prices. Like I said, it's only about curiosity.

Blackduff

Author: preben Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 804 of 1491
Subject: Re: Retiring On Less Due to Injury or Unemployme Date: 12/7/2004 1:37 PM
Recommendations: 1
Eating out in Thailand is both good and cheap. Just to compare I had a Big Mac meal for About $2.25 there - so if had that 3 times a day (upsize this!) I would live for about $7.

I like the food courts too - reminds me a bit of the office cantine and they are even located in the more upscale shopping malls. For about $1 you would have a rice chicken/curry or similar.

Middle class restaurants and upper class restaurants are everywhere too, but I trust you focused on the more normal day spending.

Shopping for groceries is fairly priced but not a bargain if goes to the western super markets. Some things are expensive (imported specialities but also some more basic things like Kellogs Etc.) while others are cheaper than I am used to from my Scandinavien home country (2L Coke for $1).

Cheers! Ben

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement