UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59131  
Subject: Retiring to the Open Sea Date: 12/10/2012 1:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Of course, a 42 foot oceangoing sailboat might cost $300,000 to $400,000.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732407350457810...

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46718 of 59131
Subject: Re: Retiring to the Open Sea Date: 12/10/2012 4:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I think it's great that these people enjoyed sailing away from full time work, but I don't find their choice of activity appealing at all.

Contrary to the author's implication, it's not that I find this kind of life too adventurous for my taste. I don't. It's not that I find it too expensive if I wanted to do it, It's not.

No . . . I find the thought of days at sea on a small boat as simply boring. I realize this is just my own bias. I feel the same way about hot air balloon rides, for example. Once you get past the initial thrill of taking off, things get pretty slow. I've often said that I love to visit new cities and cultures, I just hate the process of getting there and back. I don't see how increasing the amount of time, effort and risk to do this part would make it more appealing.

I also notice that people who do the sailboat/cruise thing tend to talk more about where they dock than the sailing part. These people mention spending months at a time in a single port. If visiting other cities and cultures for an extended period of time is the appeal, they don't need a sailboat to do that. They could probably fly to their locations and rent an apartment in town for less money. Of course then they would really be immersed in the culture they are visiting rather than living in a glass bubble world surrounded by other rich "campers". It seems to me that it is the rich "camper" environment that they really value.

And that's great. They like to surround themselves with other sailboaters who visit other cities and cultures. Good for them. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement