UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Meowiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: retrmnt annuity survivor benefit Date: 6/16/1998 11:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My husband is 56, I am 42. We were married a year ago for first time. At that same time, my husband elected the "early out" from fed. gov.

He has named me as his survivor for the retirement annuity. In order to pass on the maximum possible from the annuity to me per month, in the event of his death, he will need to receive $220. less per month permanently while he is alive. The montly annuity payment he receives now is not his full retirement since he left early. My maximum survivor benefit would be $1300/mo from his annuity.

Question: is there a smarter way to invest the $220/mo? We just want to investigate before we make paperwork permanent. We have no children. I am self-employed with Keogh. We're beginners here in Fooldom. thanks! Meowiz
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PSUEngineerFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3809 of 74759
Subject: Re: retrmnt annuity survivor benefit Date: 6/16/1998 1:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
My husband is 56, I am 42. We were married a year ago for first time. At that same time, my husband elected the "early out" from fed. gov.

He has named me as his survivor for the retirement annuity. In order to pass on the maximum possible from the annuity to me per month, in the event of his death, he will need to receive $220. less per month permanently while he is alive. The montly annuity payment he receives now is not his full retirement since he left early. My maximum survivor benefit would be $1300/mo from his annuity.

Question: is there a smarter way to invest the $220/mo? We just want to investigate before we make paperwork permanent. We have no children. I am self-employed with Keogh. We're beginners here in Fooldom. thanks!
Meowiz

You didn't say what his payout options are but it sounds like he is receiving a reduced benefit in order to pass on spousal benefits after he dies. If he were to take the option of receiving maximum benefits now, when he dies you would receive nothing.

If you could get out a crystal ball and predict when he dies, you may come out ahead by investing the additional $220/month if he lives a long time. But there are many stories of people dying right after retirement without ever collecting their first check.

Author: Meowiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3812 of 74759
Subject: Re: retrmnt annuity survivor benefit Date: 6/16/1998 2:27 PM
You didn't say what his payout options are but it sounds like he is receiving a reduced benefit in order to pass on spousal benefits after he dies. If he were to take the option of receiving maximum benefits now, when he dies you would receive nothing.

WHEN WE SEND PAPERWORK IN, OPM WILL BEGIN DEDUCTING ADDITIONAL $15.00/mo until about $3K has been deducted for just electing the survivor benefit. In addition, every month, the annuity payment that he receives will be reduced by approx $220. for choosing to pass on the maximum survivor benefit. He could elect to pass on less, any amount he chooses, with proportionally smaller monthly reduction.

If you could get out a crystal ball and predict when he dies, you may come out ahead by investing the additional $220/month if he lives a long time. But there are many stories of people dying right after retirement without ever collecting their first check.

YES, THE CRYSTAL BALL PART IS THE MYSTERY. He is looking for new job, and doesn't have lack of interests problem that causes some people to feel their lives have stopped, which is wonderful. His is beginning again, smile. thanks!

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3819 of 74759
Subject: Re: retrmnt annuity survivor benefit Date: 6/16/1998 7:33 PM
Greetings, Meowiz, and welcome.

<<My husband is 56, I am 42. We were married a year ago for first time. At that same time, my husband elected the "early out" from fed. gov.

Question: is there a smarter way to invest the $220/mo? We just want to investigate before we make paperwork permanent. We have no children. I am self-employed with Keogh. >>

I agree with PSUEngineerFool. You are getting a Survivor Benefit Plan annuity from the federal government. You cannot match it at that price in the private sector because it is cost of living adjusted each year. As military and government employee pay goes up, so does the annuity. Perhaps you could invest that $220 per month and beat it, but you will be trading a sure bet for a risky bet. At your age differences, IMHO he is making a very Foolish choice by protecting you with the SBP.

Regards….Pixy

Author: Meowiz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3825 of 74759
Subject: Re: retrmnt annuity survivor benefit Date: 6/16/1998 9:30 PM
At your age differences, IMHO he is making a very Foolish choice by protecting you with the SBP.

Regards….Pixy

Pixy, what does IMHO mean? Thank you for your very informative msg. Meowiz

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3827 of 74759
Subject: Re: retrmnt annuity survivor benefit Date: 6/17/1998 7:02 AM
Meowiz,

<<...what does IMHO mean?>>

It's online shorthand for "in my humble opinion." Others you may see include:

FWIW = for what it's worth
OTOH = on the other hand
LOL = laughing out loud
ROTFL = rolling on the floor laughing
IMNSHO = in my not so humble opinion

These acronyms are used to save keystrokes and can usually be guessed fairly accurately based on the context in which they are used.

Regards....Pixy

Author: minnat Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3829 of 74759
Subject: Re: retrmnt annuity survivor benefit Date: 6/17/1998 8:54 AM
While we're on the subject, please, what is BTW?

Thanks - Minna

Author: piz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3830 of 74759
Subject: Re: retrmnt annuity survivor benefit Date: 6/17/1998 9:03 AM
minnat wrote:
While we're on the subject, please, what is BTW?

BTW is Beat The Windex, a strategy involving consumer products companies selected using the Leibniz Harmonic Oscillator.

Piz

Author: minnat Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3831 of 74759
Subject: Re: retrmnt annuity survivor benefit Date: 6/17/1998 9:10 AM
Piz

Are you pulling my leg?

Minna

Author: piz Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3832 of 74759
Subject: Re: retrmnt annuity survivor benefit Date: 6/17/1998 9:20 AM
minnat wrote:
<<Are you pulling my leg?>>

Yes. ;-)

Piz

P.S. By The Way, has anyone told you what BTW means yet? ;-)

Author: minnat Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3833 of 74759
Subject: Re: retrmnt annuity survivor benefit Date: 6/17/1998 9:22 AM

Guess I should have said, by the way, are you pulling my leg.

Author: minnat Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3834 of 74759
Subject: Re: retrmnt annuity survivor benefit Date: 6/17/1998 9:23 AM
We seem to be overlapping. Thanks.

Minna

Author: Sakav Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3886 of 74759
Subject: Re: retrmnt annuity survivor benefit Date: 6/18/1998 10:26 PM
<<BTW is Beat The Windex, a strategy involving consumer products companies selected using the Leibniz Harmonic Oscillator.>>

LOL Piz. Not nice.

BTW=By The Way

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement