No. of Recommendations: 0
I switched jobs last year before being able to max out my 401(k). Due to my income bracket, traditional IRAs and possibly Roth as well (need to get down and dirty in my AGI calculation) are not available to me.

I'm wondering if it is possible to:

a) Contribute to a employer-sponsored 401(k) after you have left said employer (my account is still active, they didn't "kick me out")

b) Contribute "retroactively" like an IRA. For instance, can I contribute $5K on 1/15/05 and have it count for the 2004 tax year?

Thanks for any comments. I'm learning tons from you guys in the short time I've been here!
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.