UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 881809  
Subject: Revenge of the Bacon Date: 10/1/2012 10:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
COOS BAY, OR (KPTV) - An Oregon man trying to feed his 700-pound hogs was eaten by the animals Thursday, and sheriff's deputies are trying to determine what led up to his death.

http://www.kptv.com/story/19688341/oregon-man-eaten-by-hogs-...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867689 of 881809
Subject: Re: Revenge of the Bacon Date: 10/2/2012 10:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
700 pounds is not your normal hog.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/animal-products/hogs-pork/bac...

...•Farrow-to-finish operations raise hogs from birth to slaughter weight, about 240-270 pounds....

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867691 of 881809
Subject: Re: Revenge of the Bacon Date: 10/2/2012 10:26 PM
I was at a meeting in Arkansas last year when they "called the hogs." Quite an experience.

Some areas do have wild hogs, that I suspect can get quite large. The story is a reminder they can be dangerous.

Farmers do tell stories of people being attacked by hogs.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867692 of 881809
Subject: Re: Revenge of the Bacon Date: 10/2/2012 11:26 PM
Recommendations: 2
Farmers do tell stories of people being attacked by hogs.

Do you remember the beginning section of "The Wizard of Oz" and the scene where Judy Garland is walking along the fence and falls into the hog pen? And Bert Lahr rushes in and rescues her? Hogs could indeed be very dangerous.

<to wander completely off-track>

There was a story my grandmother told about her son Sam (my uncle, but he died long before I was born). He decided to paint a pig. So he got some paint and a brush and went out to the pig pen. He dipped the brush in the paint, leaned over and started rubbing the pig's spine. (Because most pigs like to have their backs scratched). The pig grunted and finally moved away, and Sam got more paint on the brush and continued to scratch the pig's back. By the time someone caught him the pig was mostly red.

There were a lot of stories. Mom wrote some of them down, but I'll have to see if there are more that I remember.

Nancy

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867695 of 881809
Subject: Re: Revenge of the Bacon Date: 10/3/2012 6:28 AM
Some areas do have wild hogs, that I suspect can get quite large. The story is a reminder they can be dangerous.

There are wild hogs in the Honey Island Swamp, an area that borders S.E. Loosiana and Mississippi, where I go to target shoot. When I go to the range early Saturday mornings, I’ll occasionally see a sow with her piglets rooting by the side of the road. I haven’t seen anything as big as (See; http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275524,00.html ) yet, however.
;-)

C.J.V. - would like to shoot 3 or 2 of dem piglets, me

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867713 of 881809
Subject: Re: Revenge of the Bacon Date: 10/3/2012 2:43 PM
Thanks for sharing, Voekels. Hogzilla is quite something. I suppose pulled pork will be abundant even if there is a bacon shortage.

Are wild hogs good to eat?

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867720 of 881809
Subject: Re: Revenge of the Bacon Date: 10/3/2012 4:19 PM

Oh yeah!
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=1&a...

AND you can shoot your own dinner!

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867725 of 881809
Subject: Re: Revenge of the Bacon Date: 10/3/2012 4:58 PM

Some people like it and some people don't. I was talking to a guy this weekend whose father has a ranch in Tx. They shoot hogs all the time. They don't eat them because they think they're tough and gamey.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867801 of 881809
Subject: Re: Revenge of the Bacon Date: 10/5/2012 12:28 PM

Females and young wild hogs are pretty tasty. I find the flavor of older males to be a bit gamey.

LWW

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement