Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DiabloQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86561  
Subject: Revenge on landlord Date: 10/20/1999 7:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Warning -- long post

Although we've already taken revenge on our landlord, I thought I'd post the story anyway. Maybe it will inspire other people to speak up when they're not satisified.

This summer my husband and I bought a house and moved out of the apartment we'd been living in for the last 5 1/2 years. We spackled the nail holes and painted over them, using paint we had colormatched (to a switch plate that was painted the same color as the walls) at Home Depot. We even painted a wall that had been scraped up by bikes and the computer chair. (Painting the whole wall looks better than just painting a big patch in the middle.) Also, we cleaned the place after moving our stuff out and shampooed the carpets. I also took pictures of the place looking nice after it was cleaned up. (Please keep in mind that it was filthy when we moved in. The refrigerator had mold growing in it and the toilet was very scary.)

A few weeks later we received a check for slightly less than half our security deposit. After a couple weeks of just whining to each other about it, we called our lawyer and faxed over the list of nonsense charges (such as charging us for a broiler pan that wasn't with the replacement oven, used and dirty by the way, when it was delivered) and a list of why the charges were crap. Our lawyer wrote a very strongly worded letter to our jerk of a former landlord, and a few phone calls later and we received a check for half the money he tried to keep. :) Well worth the money to have the lawyer write the letter and call the jerk. (I highly doubt we would have received anything back on our own without taking him to small claims court. If you haven't noticed, our former landlord is a jerk. I can think of more accurate words to describe him, but I think the Fool has a policy against that kind of language.)

Anyway, if I knew then what I know now, I would have taken pictures when we moved into the apartment to have a record of what it looked like then versus what it looked like when we left.

Thanks to reading this board (and having assertive coworkers that I'm also picking up ideas from) I know that I don't have to put up with ridiculous treatment and that I can stand up for myself.

-- Fran
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement