UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bigdan195 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 150  
Subject: Reverse Mortgage & Grandparents Date: 4/17/2005 9:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My mother-in-law and father-in-law are in their 80's. They need a care giver. They have been living with my wife and children for last six months. Grandma is in a wheel chair. Grandpa can barely take care of himself, but they both want to go back to their own home. We are all pretty poor. Grandma and Grandpa have almost no money in bank. Only income is Social Security and a tiny pension.

They own their own home. Estimated value is $200,000.00.
Estimated cost for care giver is $2,500.00 per month.

We have been look into Reverse Mortgage for them. We think this is the ideal solution if they want to live in their own home. Home Equity loan and HELOC (Home Equity Line Of Credit) have also been suggested by others. We have a general knowledge of all 3, but we are not financial experts. We are learning that reverse mortgage will have expenses, including closing costs. Expenses may be thousands of dollars.

What do you think? Which way should we go? What are your experiences or thoughts with this situation? Any help is appreciated.

I refuse to be negative, both both grandparents are in bad shape, and we are guessing they will both live no longer than 5 years. Hope they live 105 years, but we have to try to be realistic.

Believe it or not, I am in favor of trying to convince them to stay with us. It has been a big adjustment for everybody (including our 2 teenage kids). However, they want to go back home. I respect them, but I am not sure if it is safest and most economical route. Thanks.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Related Board
Taking Care of Parents
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement