Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BenGrahamMan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 402  
Subject: Review and Discussion of BAM 8.95% Notes Date: 6/3/2009 4:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
June 3, 2009 (18.73) Review and Discussion of BAM 8.95% Notes Due June 2, 2014 CAD$500M

Here is a link to the Prospectus Supplement http://rbcpa.com/companies/BAM_8.950_notes_due_2014.pdf

This filing is a supplement to the Short Form Base Shelf Prospectus US$1B, filed on January 12, 2009. Here is a link to that filing http://rbcpa.com/companies/BAM_Short_Form_Prospectus_Filed_2...

Cusip 112585AF1, issued 6/2/09

Not TRACE Reportable and not Disseminated

Canada Issue and currency

Underwriters:

TD SECURITIES INC
SCOTIA CAPITAL INC
BMO NESBITT BURNS INC
CIBC WORLD MARKETS INC
RBC CAPITAL MARKETS INC
NATIONAL BANK FINANCIAL INC
HSBC SECURITIES (CANADA) INC

Proceeds used for general corporate purposes, including repayment of "certain bank and other indebtedness."

Change of Control Provisions, require 101% of their principal amount, plus accrued interest. The debt would have to be repaid no later than 90 days after a triggering event. The most interesting of the Change of Control Provisions are "Below Investment Grade Rating Event." If 3 of 4 Ratings Agencies rate the notes below Investment Grade, there will be deemed a change of control. If only one Ratings Agency reduces the rating to below Investment Grade, there is no Change of Control. The notes would be put on an "Extension Period" if a number of the Ratings Agencies have placed the notes on "publicly announced consideration for possible downgrade...." and at the same time a number of Ratings Agencies downgraded below investment grade. The Extension Period would terminate when two of the Ratings Agencies or one of the Ratings Agencies have confirmed that the notes are not subject to consideration for a possible downgrade, and have not downgraded the notes, to below an Investment Grade Rating.

Agency        Current Credit Rating        Minimum Credit Rating Allowed 
Fitch BBB+ BBB-
S&P A- BBB-
Moody's Baa2 Baa3
DBRS A (low) BBB (low)

Covenants restrict BAM's ability to create certain liens; declare or pay dividends or acquire capital stock or debt of the Company; consolidate or merge, and incur certain payment restrictions that third parties may impose. The covenants will be discussed below, and are crucial to understand for this issue.

Earnings Coverage Ratios - Includes all preferred shares, and is adjusted to a before tax equivalent using an effective tax rate of 28%. Coverage including Series 22 (announced just prior to this filing) on a pro-forma basis was 1.2X on December 31, 2008 and 1.1X on March 31, 2009.

Restricted Payments - Company must maintain a Consolidated Net Worth (GAAP Stockholder's Equity) of > or = to US$2B. This would limit the company from paying dividends, paying distributions or for various other subsidiary payments in kind or cash. This would have to be re-reviewed if such an event were to occur.

Observations:

1. Notes were priced at 8.95% for 5 year paper. This is 5 year UST (2.45) +~ 650 BPS. I would think that A- paper would be issued at less of a yield than that. Something to watch. I checked Egan Jones, and the BAM issue seems to be priced much higher than other similar credit rating issues. Egan Jones is showing several A- similar rated and duration issues to be yielding in the mid 5.50%'s. Here is another issue I pulled up from Finra with similar characteristics. This bond comes due 6 months prior and has a call provision. Hence, not apples to apples.

Issuer Name Coupon Maturity Callable Moody's S&P Fitch Price Yield
D.GC DOMINION RESOURCES INCORPORATED VA 6.63 12/01/2013 No Baa2 A- BBB+ 106.605 4.999

2. I do not ever recall seeing such strict covenants with BAM in prior offerings. I could be incorrect on that.

3. The Short Form Base Shelf Prospectus filed on January 12, 2009 had no mention of credit rating assurances or events. I only mention this, as this CAD$500M has such Investment Credit Rating requirements. This is the first time, I have seen BAM to be credit rating reliant.

I have a ton of research not posted here at the following link.

http://rbcpa.com/companies/BAM.html
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement