Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Richard's rule #1 Never invest in any fixed dollar insturments.

While that is a good rule, I think Adam Smith beat you to it in his book An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of The Wealth of Nations that he wrote about 210 years ago. One of the things he noticed was that Oxford University leased some land to others and the terms included that some of the payment was to be made in silver and some of it in corn. Now the value of silver dropped considerably over the years, but the value of corn remained essentially the same (or perhaps went up). He felt it a good idea to have leases like that for all long-term leases (over 100 years, I believe). It is a huge book (1092) pages and I cannot cite the exact page.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement