Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Rick,

I am assuming that your question was a sincere one and not intended to be an initial salvo thrown in my direction with the intent to begin some new rehash of the Reformation period's war between Roman Catholics and Protestants. That is not what I want this board to become.

Actually, I had a very good rapport with a couple chaplains from the "reformed" branch of Christianity -- one who was ordained in the Dutch Reformed Church and another who was ordained in the Presbyterian Church -- and I developed a great deal of respect for both and learned a fair amount about the Reformed churches in the process.

My comment was partly "needling" you, intended in good humor, about your use of the words "Reformed Faith" as opposed to "Reformed Christian Faith" or whatever, and partly serious in its thrust. It seems constructive to keep in mind that we all are Christians first and that we are saved by our faith in Christ, regardless of our choice of worshipping community or denomination. In my own denomination, too, I try to discourage people from speaking of some "Catholic Faith" or "Catholicism" because such phrases apply a major difference -- even to the point of incompatibility -- between our own teaching and the Christian faith. Words might seem insignificant and this might seem like a nit, but the reality is that it's very important precisely because the words we use tend to form the way we think.

This board is a formum for learning about the Reformed Faith, not debating and arguing and flaming with those opposed to it. So I would ask you to try and contain yourself(hard as it may be)and just ask sincere questions about our faith, if you have any. And keep it respectful if you would. Thank you,

Anyway, I dropped by partly out of curiosity as to what was happening here and partly to support and to encourage you in what you are doing (though, as I noted in a reply to your post on the "Christian Fools" board, I would welcome this discussion taking place over there so that other Christians might learn from it, too). I don't visit the "Christian Fools" board to pick fights, either. OTOH, I can't let the most deceitful of lies go unchecked. I try to address them in civil tones, even when I'm very frustrated, and I'm sorry if anything that I have posted over thre has come across otherwise.

Anyway, I do wish you well on this board and hope that it fulfills your vision.

Norm.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement