Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joetangerine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25223  
Subject: Re: DO NOT let this happen to your 401k! Date: 12/20/2001 2:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Ricks post:

It is their retirement money and they are perfectly capable of making their own decisions.

This would be an acceptable argument if it were true. The fact is the all qualified retirement plans like 401k's must be administer for the exclusive benefit of the participant AND beneficiaries. By allowing a participant to take undue and foolish risks, you are allowing the participant to put at risk assets that others have a potential claim. For example, in most states, half the assets belong to the participants spouse. I.e., 401k assets are not the exclusive property of the plan participant.

Then once again it is the responsibility of the participant AND beneficiaries to make sure they are taking risks that they find appropriate. My fiance and I - even though we are not yet married - have been reviewing every 6 months or so our 401k's for almost the last 2 years. If the beneficiary allows the participant to make all the decisions, then once again they have CHOSEN.

By the way Rick, since you are all for this ridiculous 20% rule, then please tell me how we, monitor, control and legislate it?

What happens if you buy a mutual fund/index fund offered in your 401k that happens to have say 5% of its equity in your company's stock? Does that mean you would have to sell an extra aggregate portion of your company's stock in your 401k, so as to not exceed the 20%? What happens then if the mutual fund/index fund sells all or some of their holdings in your company's stock. Can you then buy that aggregate amount back?

What happens if you buy only 20% of your company's stock and the rest in mutual funds. Then, over a 6 month period your company stock doubles in value while your mutual funds are flat. Are you then required to sell off a portion of your stock in the company and reinvest those proceeds in those languishing mutual funds in order to get back down to the 20% rule?

What if the market overreacts to news in my company's industry and clobbers my company along with the rest even though it is fiscally sound and later rebounds. I would not be able to move funds from say a crappy performing mutual fund in order to take advantage of that opportunity to buy extra stock at a low price?!? I would not be able to take advantage of a market driven opportunity because of some 20% rule.

tangerine

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement