UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LB0507 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 976  
Subject: Ridiculous depiction of MS on TV show Date: 3/20/2006 1:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Don't know how many watch the show "Cold Case" - it's one of our brain candy items. Last night's (3/19/06) episode revolved around a killer who was driven to commit a second murder 26 years after committing the first one, seemingly because he had Multiple Sclerosis. He had been in remission all these years, but now was experiencing some minor hand tremors, which of course signified "the beginning of THE END" (actual words from the show).

My partner has MS, and while of course we watch these shows as fiction not meant to be taken seriously, we were both really ticked by this. Many TV shows do attempt to provide an accurate picture of health issues. I sent this complaint to CBS:

I enjoy the show "Cold Case", but I have a large problem with the latest episode "One Night". It showed and fostered a tremendous amount of ignorance and misinformation regarding Multiple Sclerosis.

MS is NOT a fatal disease. This can not be repeated often enough. While it is not yet curable, it is in fact treatable - there are several medications that halt or slow exacerbations caused by MS. Many people with MS do not in fact become completely disabled.

While I acknowledge that a show like "Cold Case" is fiction, not documentary, that does not excuse it incorporating such irresponsible misinformation into the plot. In fact, the story line was made substantially weaker by it. The idea that someone (no matter how demented) with MS would be driven to commit murder because of what appeared to be a minor exacerbation is ridiculous, and the thought that a minor trembling of a hand marks "THE BEGINNING OF THE END" is beyond ludicrous.

Your "CBS Cares" website seeks to provide current and accurate information about a number of health issues. Please try to incorporate this admirable goal into your shows also.

This isn't the first time I've seen such ridiculous misuse of MS in a story line before. Years ago, the wife of one of the characters on "Law & Order" was supposed to have MS, and over the course of several episodes, the same stupidity (MS is fatal, she'll become completely helpless, etc.) was presented. I'm sorry I didn't complain to the network about that, but I had to this time. (At least the wife on "Law & Order" didn't become a serial murderer because of MS.)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement