UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 12878  
Subject: Re: Prop 32 Date: 10/8/2012 1:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
right to organize, deal with a wide variety of issues, way beyond your personal problems. We worked to solve issues, gain training, benefits, get members help with medical, dental, family, psych help, pensions, COLAs, all of it..

And nowhere have I or Prop 32 threatened the ability of unions to do exactly that stuff for their members. Take the dues, collectively bargain for better stuff with the company, absolutely, by all means, proceed sir.

If you can tell me exactly what contribution/benefit is made to the above list by a union spending its members' money on a political campaign supporting Assembly Bill 5150 changing the state's Basic Speed Law to 54 MPH* then you'll absolutely have my honest attention in listening about those contributions/benefits and the perhaps-inevitable harm that will come to those contributions/benefits should Prop. 32 pass. So far, I haven't heard anything approaching that case being made; just more "if you're not with us you're against us" stuff piled on top of the name-calling.

JT

*note: the above bill is a fictitious example. I had a more entertaining one in there first about treating hit-and-runs involving dogs differently than those involving cats, but I figured that much levity would have undermined the question.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement