Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2324  
Subject: RIMM gap target $25.19 Date: 6/17/2011 2:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Based on tmf'er JannyGruenig's gap theory:

LOD pre-gap $34.67

HOD gap-day $29.93

Gap=$4.74

Subtract gap from HOD of $29.93

= Gap Target of $25.19

To those unfamiliar with the theory, and I have noticed this phenomenon throughout the years after discovering Janny's Gap Theory, the vast majority of these gap targets (90%+) are reached. It's been my observation that this occurs within the first few months (or sooner).

The point is--while many of you may be tempted to jump into RIMM right here thinking you're getting a great bargain, think again. You should be able to get a much better price (and thus return).
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Crippy1776 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2293 of 2324
Subject: Re: RIMM gap target $25.19 Date: 8/23/2011 10:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Where can I learn about Janny's Gap Theory?

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2294 of 2324
Subject: Re: RIMM gap target $25.19 Date: 8/23/2011 1:00 PM
She posted about it years ago over on the short-term trading board. It was as phenomenon she personally observed. Essentially:

--when a stock gaps down
Take the LOD (low of the day) for the day before the gap
subtract the HOD (high of the day) of the gap-down day
This = the gap
Then subtract that gap from the HOD
This will give you a gap target--it was Janny's observation that over 90% of the time the gap target is reached. After following her method, it's been my observation as well that the target is reached nearly all the time.

btw--when a stock gaps up, the reverse is applied:

take the HOD on the day before the gap-up
subtract it from the LOD on the gap-up day
this determines the gap
Take that gap and add it to the LOD on the gap-up day to determine the gap target.

There were a few caveats in her method--like takeover news, or similar events that created a gap would not be appropriate situations to use the method.

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2295 of 2324
Subject: Re: RIMM gap target $25.19 Date: 8/23/2011 1:46 PM
I should add that the gap target of $25.19 for RIMM was already reached on 7/29/11.

Author: wypc Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2296 of 2324
Subject: Re: RIMM gap target $25.19 Date: 8/31/2011 3:40 PM
I'm still shorting it now and hope to see a good price to cover it. My expectation is around $24.

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2297 of 2324
Subject: Re: RIMM gap target $25.19 Date: 9/1/2011 8:25 AM
Just understand that once the target has been reached, it's no longer valid. You'll have to look for other technical indicators--fibs, ma's, oscillators, etc.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement