UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10534  
Subject: RM Needs a Center Speaker Date: 9/5/2012 8:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi guys! *waving*

My home theater has been languishing

Two years ago y'all helped me acquire a very nice LCD TV, the the LG520 http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-42LD520-lcd-tv . We also talked of how to change my speakers around for better sound. As DH loves movies you would think he'd be interested in improving the sound as well, but I couldn't interest him in re-arranging anything, he seemed content to putter along with the new TV and the current mismatched speaker "system".

Not even when the puppy, who is now 19 months old, chewed through the rear speaker wires did he budge an inch. (wires are still chewed) Nor when the old semi-broken stereo speaker used as the center speaker bit the dust (though it could be the feed from the amp that busted*) did he budge. The last few months we have had to watch shows and movies with closed captioning (or maybe our ears are just getting old?). I know we need a new AV receiver and that will be my second post, but first let's discuss center speakers, reasonably priced, for DH's sake.

Now to keep y'all from having to dig for my previous post I will reprint the specs of my current front speakers and sub.

Boston Acoustics CR 6

crossover 3600 Hz
Freq Resp 65-20,000 Hz
8 ohms
sensitivity 88 db (1 watt at 1 m)
recommended amp power 15-100 watts

powered sub-woofer CR 400

FR 35-150 Hz
amp power 75 watts continuous 4 Ohms,
< .15% THD @ 60 watts, 4 ohms, 25-200 Hz

While searching the internet I do believe I found the specs for the center speaker that would have gone with these if I'd been able to convince DH it was necessary.

Speci?cations CRC speaker

Frequency Response (±3dB) 280–20,000 Hz
Recommended Ampli?er Power 15–100 watts
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Sensitivity [1 watt (2.83v) at 1m] 89d
Bass Unit 4 1/2" (115mm) copolymer
Passive Radiator 4 1/2" (115mm) copolymer
Tweeter 1" (25mm) Kortec
Crossover Frequency 22,500Hz

I've been puttering about on Amazon and Crutchfield trying to compare specs to that CRC but I really haven't much of a clue what is equivalent or even what price range I should be looking at to get something that would mesh well with the CR6s or even if it's possible.

Two years ago we talked about taking my CR8s from my stereo system and using them for fronts and the CR6s for rears. While this would be very nice and save money to put towards a better center speaker and higher end amp I still wonder if matching could be too tough.

So how about still moving the CR6s to the rear and then get a center AND two new front speakers? Can I do it for $300ish? (Or less to keep DH happy?)

IS this a good plan? And so what can we do? If we can figure this out then we can talk amps.

RM

*if the feed from the amp IS busted then having a new center speaker languish unheard will probably do more to help score me a new amp then any amount of batting my blue eyes at DH would ever do
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement