UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757566  
Subject: Roads! Date: 7/8/2013 6:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://marathonpundit.blogspot.com/2013/07/lincoln-highway-c...

Although not as well-known as Route 66, the Lincoln Highway has a unique place in American history. Not only was it the first coast-to-coast road, but the Lincoln Highway was inspired by private, not government interests.

This year travelers are celebrating the 100th anniversary of this road, and as USA Today reports, they're doing so in the only proper way--by driving the Lincoln Highway in its entirety.

The most storied trip on the Lincoln Highway was the US Army tour in 1919, future president Dwight D. Eisenhower participated in that one.

Happy birthday, Lincoln Highway!
--------------------------------------------------------
Pretty cool, Lincoln Highway goes through Dekalb, Il, it was probably a 5 wood from the house i lived in while in college, i had no idea it went coast to coast. If i had a dime for every time i walked home from the bars drunk on that road i'd be, wait, kerry the two, well i could've had my personal assistant type this post.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688277 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/8/2013 7:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Pretty cool, Lincoln Highway goes through Dekalb, Il, it was probably a 5 wood from the house i lived in while in college, i had no idea it went coast to coast. If i had a dime for every time i walked home from the bars drunk on that road i'd be, wait, kerry the two,

A little friendly advice, The best way to be Kerry the two is marry rich old chicks, then just lie about everything.

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688288 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/8/2013 8:04 PM
Recommendations: 8
Pretty cool, Lincoln Highway goes through Dekalb, Il, it was probably a 5 wood from the house i lived in while in college, i had no idea it went coast to coast. If i had a dime for every time i walked home from the bars drunk on that road i'd be, wait, kerry the two, well i could've had my personal assistant type this post. -- 2828

Wow, I didn't know about the Lincoln Highway. I wish I could travel the whole thing with guidebook in hand. At least the part from Nebraska to San Francisco. With maybe a side trip to Iowa as an overture. I've always wanted to see Iowa for some reason. Or save it for the other half of the trip another year and head east, although I'm not naturally inclined to head east. Still, I surely would enjoy a Part II if I survived Part I.

Due to this discovery I've spent the last hour looking at books and dvds for sale on the Lincoln Highway, and read articles--there was a good USA Today newspaper reference from the link you provided 2828. Ended up placing an order, of course. All I need is two more books and another dvd, but still it will be a really fun week of mornings, maybe two. I think I'll book them into the last two weeks of July here in heated-up mid-summer Nebraska.

Maybe when I get my new car. My 1995 Toyota Camry is 18 years old this year--but wouldn't you know it still runs like a top. Still doesn't have 50,000 miles on it yet either, although the first 5 years I had it, while I was still parked in San Francisco, I put many Nebraska and Washington and southern California trips on it including all the metropolitan driving that just happens there if you happen to have a car, plus a full time job and a household to support. It was probably already at 35,000 or so when I brought it to its new home out here in the country. What a good car it has been.

Well, I didn't mean to write a post but just happened to see your Roads heading and couldn't resist the topic.

I just took a hot bath and am going to get up, pause a moment, and slowly head for the kitchen, senses alert. Two weeks ago I took a hot bath, sat at the computer for a while, got up quickly to heat a cup of coffee in the microwave and collapsed, falling into the kitchen table and onto the floor like a rag mop with no control of arms and legs at all. After lying there a while it seemed my body and mind were in tact and nothing was broken so I got myself into the living room and onto the sofa. Was tentative the rest of the day, waiting for the other shoe to drop, but things seemed to be all right.

I remembered Andrew's fall and his descriptions of how startling it is and baffling to suddenly lose control. And to figure out what happened. Anyway, now I'm being really careful. Reflecting on it a million times afterward, as one does in such situations, I remembered I did have a couple signs before it came, felt really light headed and the bright light in the kitchen seemed to be bothering me--I think maybe it had to do with low blood pressure and jumping up too fast so now when I get up I go slowly. I read tons of internet stuff and researched in my own medical library and ended up deciding that if it happened only once and nothing was broken I could avoid a trip to the doctor for the time being unless it started to become a regular occurrence. I would just be sure and tell her about it at my next scheduled appointment.

Until a few years have gone by and I gain more confidence I probably should hire a chauffeur to drive me along the Lincoln Highway. What if I was driving along and suddenly passed out? A fall can really shake your confidence except by now I'm feeling pretty strong again--although I have all kinds of bruises, especially on my back side, to remind me of how fallible bodies can be. In the meantime I will just travel along in my comfortable armchair.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688292 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/8/2013 8:40 PM
Recommendations: 0
Two weeks ago I took a hot bath, sat at the computer for a while, got up quickly to heat a cup of coffee in the microwave and collapsed, falling into the kitchen table and onto the floor like a rag mop with no control of arms and legs at all.

To what do you attribute your fall, catmeyoo?

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688295 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/8/2013 8:45 PM
Hit "Submit Message" too soon. What I meant to ask was, "To what do you attribute your fall besides possibly orthostatic hypotension, which is a momentary drop in blood pressure and blood flow to your head that occurs when you get up too quickly from a seated or lying position?"

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688296 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/8/2013 9:03 PM
Recommendations: 2
Useless info time:

Look up The Dixie Highway. It had a few routes, but all of them essentially went from the Upper Midwest to FL. One branch ran a couple of blocks from the house I grew up in. My paper route was along it too.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688298 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/8/2013 9:17 PM
Until a few years have gone by and I gain more confidence I probably should hire a chauffeur to drive me along the Lincoln Highway.
------------

Driving Miss catmeyoo! My brother is retiring in a couple of years. Maybe he could do it. He loves obscure places, and he's already there.

arrete

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688299 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/8/2013 9:22 PM
Recommendations: 3
To what do you attribute your fall, catmeyoo? --cc

It is a mystery. I would, of course, rather attribute it to blood pressure or blood sugar or something like that than things like strokes or brain tumors.

My mom's friend here in town with MS started falling about 8 years ago (she died last year). I was on her lifeline and was called several times to go over and help pick her up. She finally decided to use the wheelchair only. She never did break anything which was really lucky.

A friend in San Francisco took a fall on the city streets several years after I moved back here. She told me about it on the phone--really banged herself up good--but she had quit drinking at least a decade before <g> so she couldn't blame it on that. It was the only bad fall she ever took but they never did find out why--she died about 5 years ago from cancer (quickly)--found out one month and was gone the next.

My mother became light headed for the last 5 years of her life and was unsteady on her feet, someone was always beside her so she could balance herself on that person's arm when she moved on her feet. She was mostly bed bound but did come to the living room for her breakfast and dinner in order to get a little exercise. She took a bunch of pills and the blood pressure ones could be a factor, or her macular degeneration.

These are all falls that can't be blamed on tripping on a rug or some environmental danger like that. I sort of connect mine with my eyesight too, bright lights and ability to focus correctly -- it feels like if I slow down and focus on one thing I soon get better in terms of light headedness. And of course not jumping up all of a sudden and taking off for somewhere helps too. What was amazing was how suddenly I had no control of my body at all--nothing worked. I don't think I passed out, not even after I hit the floor, but was alone so might not remember?.

I take all kinds of medications for atrial fibrillation, none of which are happy pills darn it, but instead beta blockers like digoxyn and bisoprolol and hypertension pills like losartan. And I'm always on a blood thinner--which made my bruises particularly huge from my fall, making things look much worse than they may be. Good thing I didn't fall on my head or I could have really been in trouble given my blood thinner. I'd like to give all those pills up but the trade off might not be worth it. When I was purusing the literature on fall prevention I did read that it is important to be especially careful right after taking your blood pressure medicines--some new studies suggesting that immediately after taking your pill you can be more vulnerable.

I'm just glad I didn't break anything, like a hip. My right hip got the brunt of it even so and it looks like a semi ran into me due to the blood thinning medicine I take. I had scrapes and bruises along my right arm and legs though too. I remember reading once somewhere that
while you read often about older people falling and breaking a hip in many cases it is actually the hip breaks and the older person falls. I'm grateful it wasn't that.

Ah well, my first fall. It is good to have the first one over with and quite a learning experience.

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688300 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/8/2013 9:39 PM
I had an episode on Saturday. I like to drink Red Bulls. No lectures please.

I do know that they are stimulants, but I had my first reaction to one. I was sitting in my chair, watching TV. I had just finished a 16 ounce can when I had this weird feeling. I still can't describe it. I felt as if I was gonna die. I was glad that I wasn't behind the wheel or anything like that. I had to lie on the floor.

For a few minutes I felt as if I was gonna test Art's theories of the hereafter. I was gonna meet my 73 virgins. On the other hand, I knew that if I just lie there, it would pass - and it did.

Like I said, I am glad I wasn't doing anything dangerous like standing on a ladder, driving a car, etc....

I think I'll swear off those things. It was kinda scary. It's not an experience I am eager to repeat.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688301 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/8/2013 9:49 PM
I was gonna meet my 73 virgins.
-------------

Isn't 72? Maybe libertarians get one more.

Caffeine is sneaky stuff.

arrete

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688302 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/8/2013 9:53 PM
Isn't 72?

73 was the number I suggested to Art as a marketing ploy to gain adherents to Artism.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688359 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/9/2013 1:26 PM
For a few minutes I felt as if I was gonna test Art's theories of the hereafter. I was gonna meet my 73 virgins. On the other hand, I knew that if I just lie there, it would pass - and it did.

Like I said, I am glad I wasn't doing anything dangerous like standing on a ladder, driving a car, etc....

I think I'll swear off those things. It was kinda scary. It's not an experience I am eager to repeat.
wolverine

>>>>>>>

oh, dear!

A racing heart is not for the faint of heart. :)

I've never had one of those drinks, fearing enormous sleep disruption. :) I cut myself off at 60 oz. of coffee(caf) each day....and that's before 1 pm.

Be careful, I think as we age, we become more sensitive to drugs of all kinds.

I've had those heart palpitations and jitters before, with sudden perspiration. Yeah, not a good feeling.

LD

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688363 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/9/2013 1:37 PM
I'm just glad I didn't break anything, like a hip. My right hip got the brunt of it even so and it looks like a semi ran into me due to the blood thinning medicine I take. I had scrapes and bruises along my right arm and legs though too. I remember reading once somewhere that
while you read often about older people falling and breaking a hip in many cases it is actually the hip breaks and the older person falls. I'm grateful it wasn't that.

Ah well, my first fall. It is good to have the first one over with and quite a learning experience.
catmeyoo

>>>>>>>>
oh, dear II!

I'm glad you are alright. Those of us living by ourselves have to take extra special care about this sort of thing.

The only time I've fallen, well, make that twice I've fallen, but that one was slipping on the stairs and landing on my butt.......I felt like a bird hitting a window......stunned...and then later grateful I didn't break anything.

The first time, I fell was in the kitchen and I was sick with self induced stomach flu(half cooked turkey yrs. ago). I was near the stove and just dropped to the floor with the dogs coming to check me out. After awhile, I was able to pull myself up and crawl back upstairs to my bed. That was awful and it made me realize how alone I was alone as in I could die here and no one would know. So it's good to have a phone nearby.

Sometimes I get low blood sugar and have to stop what I'm doing and sit down and sip some water. I also take allergy drugs and if I get up suddenly, I feel woozy. I notice this at the end of a meeting, I get up slowly and catch some breaths of air and then I'm alright.

I hope your home is carpeted. It's safer anyway for falls. Any tables with sharp edges should be moved back so if you do fall, that edge can't cut you up. I gashed my leg passing a sharp edged chair at the gym last wk.....ack! It bled a little and I pushed the dang thing back so the next person couldn't get snagged on it. Grrr!

I've read a while back about men who get up in the middle of the night to go pee, often pass out while standing in the bathroom.......tile floor is not forgiving to one's noggin. Not that you have to stand to pee, just some trivia for you. :)

Well, I'm glad you are okay catmeyoo.

Take care. :)

LuckyDog

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688397 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/9/2013 5:36 PM
"Maybe when I get my new car. My 1995 Toyota Camry is 18 years old this year--but wouldn't you know it still runs like a top. Still doesn't have 50,000 miles on it yet either," - Catmeyoo

I gave my 2005 Nissan Sentra with 56,000 miles on it to my baby sister, Robin. I'd stay up nights worrying about her. She works for Nabisco setting up displays for about $11.00/hour (part time) and I knew there was no way she'd ever accumulate enough money to buy a decent car. She was going to buy some old junk car to drive and all I could see was "disaster!"

See I hear about it from my sister Lindytoes because they live close to each other and then I get an ear full and me being the nice guy I am I'd worry about it. I finally just broke down and gave her my car.

That's why I bought the 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback and got 33,000 miles on it. I paid $11,990 for it case you were wondering, and with taxes and all the other stuff they add on I ended up writing them a check for $13,300.

So if you want a new car you need to just give your old one away to some needy relative and buy yourself a new one. Otherwise your old Camry is going to be the last car you ever own.

Art

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688413 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/9/2013 7:19 PM
Recommendations: 6
The first time, I fell was in the kitchen and I was sick with self induced stomach flu(half cooked turkey yrs. ago). I was near the stove and just dropped to the floor with the dogs coming to check me out. After awhile, I was able to pull myself up and crawl back upstairs to my bed. That was awful and it made me realize how alone I was alone as in I could die here and no one would know. So it's good to have a phone nearby. -- LD

You are right about that. I had an arrangement with neighbors across the street that if they didn't see me for a day or two would they perhaps check, but that was when I was out and about much more and not since I have become so reclusive that it could be two weeks or more before they ever saw me, especially in the summertime (I don't like being out in hot weather). This summer we've had so much rain they see me often though because I go out and sit on the front porch and watch it. So far it has been a glorious summer after last year's drought conditions.

Still, there can be a number of days in a row when neither my car nor me move from our parking places so the neighborly check has sort of fizzled out. I know of some older women living alone who call each other each day for a friendly little chat and to make sure things are ok. That would drive me to madness.

This is smalltown American though and around here our postmen and women are good watchdogs. One day my postmistress told me she was a little worried about Mitzi (my friend confined to a wheelchair who lived 2 blocks away) that Mitzi's mail from yesterday was still in the mailbox when she delivered it that morning. She happened to know we were friends because she had seen me in her home once or twice and probably also through the gossip mill. I didn't call Mitzi because we had had a friendship breakup and had not spoken for 4 years. I did, however, drive by her home that evening and her light was on as usual and I could see her silouette through the curtains. She was sitting at her usual tv-viewing card table in the living room so I knew she was all right.

If I didn't pick up my mail and packages (I get lots of both) I'm pretty sure my USPS or UPS or federal express man would alert neighbors and they would probably find me before too long.

If you do start having fainting spells or falling on a regular basis or your health just declines generally, those Lifeline dealies are great, even if you have family or friends you live with or caretakers. My mom's caretaker swore by them and was worried about her during mom's alone times and nights but my mom didn't want to spend the money to get one so I gave her one for her birthday and continued to support the service each year til she died. It was great for everyone's peace of mind, even my mom's eventually. She wore it on her wrist and would sometimes bang it accidently and then phones and doorbells would start ringing and all kinds of excitement happening until everyone was assured that things were all right. When my friend Mitzi got hers she chose to wear it around her neck. That is what I would do too if I got one--less chance of a bumping accident.

It was about $30 a month 10 years ago--probably a bit higher now.

I do hate those commercials with the old lady lying on the floor crying out "help me, I can't get up" but I suppose drama has its place. When these unexpected things really happen to you there is certainly plenty of drama but I have noticed you have a lot of extra strength at those times too, from the adrenalin I suppose. I want her to drag herself somewhere, over to a phone for example, instead of lying there crying helplessly. Or at least be trying. I'm sure there are plenty of things that can happen that make that impossible, but still. . .

Try to stay upright LD and I'll do the same. My mom used to say "getting old is hell". She looked things squarely in the face always (from her point of view) and that is what she believed. Still, she had lots of enjoyment each day in a variety of ways, laughed often, and took pleasure in a number of things always. Kept her wits too.

We were ruled by different blood humours and temperaments.

I tend to be more philosophical about the whole thing and look at it more as life's next adventure in which you never know from this day until the next what surprises are in store for you and what opportunities to problem solve and deal with new challenges and isn't it all interesting so long as you have enough money and still have plenty of confidence in your ability to be independent and can keep your wits about you. That doesn't mean I sometimes don't get a little sad at some physical failing or loss but luckily I can give myself a good talking to and get out of the doldrums within minutes.

Also on the bright side, there are just so many things from earlier stages in life that no longer trouble or concern me that I can always reflect on one of those when I need something to cheer me up and make me grateful.

She, on the other hand, would look back at the past as the good old days and compare her current days unfavorably.

We always had a hard time getting along. According to her it was all my fault and according to me it was all hers. In that we were more alike.

All right. I've reached out, droned on yet again and enjoyed the heck out of it. Now it is time to slice some peaches and fix ice tea and buttered toast for an afternoon snack and watch an old Poiret I recorded on Sunday. Also have Matlocks and Dexter waiting. Then tonight Jeff Lewis and his Interior Therapy season starts again on Bravo. And Chopped. All good.

I'm also reading a book I really like: Oscar Wilde Discovers America by Louis Edwards, a fictional account of Wilde's late 19th century lecture tour of America written from the point of view of his young black valet assigned to him early on after his arrival in the U.S.

I was getting kind of desperate for a book I enjoyed after starting about 6 and giving up on each after the first 50 pages, including two Saul Bellow novels I had been wanting to read for some time. But this one grabbed and caught me in 3 pages--that's the kind of book I need. It is funny about hot weather. It just isn't as easy to find something you enjoy reading in hot weather. Your brain doesn't work quite right in the sun. I suppose that is why they publish those summer reading lists with lots of lighter fare. The Edwards book is not "light fare" but it is just so good that you can overcome the handicap. Especially if you are a Wilde aficionado. Reviews were mixed, many wanting more about Wilde and less about the Valet, but so far (I'm on about page 100)I don't mind plus we are leaving Utah Territory and coming up on San Francisco in only 3 or 4 pages and I can hardly wait.

For fans of Oscar Wilde: Louis Edwards' Oscar Wilde Discovers America c 2003, Scribner.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688416 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/9/2013 7:33 PM
All right. I've reached out, droned on yet again and enjoyed the heck out of it. Now it is time to slice some peaches and fix ice tea and buttered toast for an afternoon snack and watch an old Poiret I recorded on Sunday. Also have Matlocks and Dexter waiting. Then tonight Jeff Lewis and his Interior Therapy season starts again on Bravo. And Chopped. All good.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Besides Mystery Diners and Restaurant Stakeout i recently got addicted to Restaurant Impossible (Food) and Bar Rescue (Spike tv). I watched Bar Rescue one night while they had a marathon on and i ended up watching for something like 5 hours in a row. Yikes!

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688417 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/9/2013 7:38 PM
Right now I am about to watch my Tigers do battle with 2828s White Sox. Sports makes up at least 90% of my TV watching.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688425 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/9/2013 8:34 PM
Last night, I watched the first episode of Devious Maids on the Lifetime Network. It was funny. :)

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/devious-maids/cast

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688428 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/9/2013 8:52 PM
Besides Mystery Diners and Restaurant Stakeout i recently got addicted to Restaurant Impossible (Food) and Bar Rescue (Spike tv). I watched Bar Rescue one night while they had a marathon on and i ended up watching for something like 5 hours in a row. Yikes! --2828

Omg I love Mystery Diners and Restaurant Stageout and try not to miss a single episode. Willie Degel rocks. I haven't heard of Bar Rescue--am going to check out Spike immediately.

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688429 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/9/2013 9:00 PM
Restaurant Stageout

Whoops. I got excited and ahead of myself--Restaurant STAKEout.

My son and daughter in law think they might like to open a new restaurant in Chadron after he retires from the navy in a few years. I've seen at least 6 open and close in the last 10 years just in my little town and am worried about it sucking up their whole lives and then still failing and secretly want him to teach school or deliver mail and her to take some classes and get her nursing certificate. I think those are jobs they would each like and each be good at. In that respect I'm just like my mother--get skills so you can always get a secure job with benefits. None of this high risk, exciting but might fail stuff.

I keep telling them to watch Mystery Diners and Restaurant Stakeout so they can see what is in store for them and prepare themselves.

If it comes to it I hope I can keep my mouth shut and be supportive though. Currently I'm talking to them about moving me (and maybe themselves) up to Spearfish in a few years--up in the Black Hills. More likelihood of a success in the food business too what with the tourist trade. We will see.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688431 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/9/2013 9:10 PM
I keep telling them to watch Mystery Diners and Restaurant Stakeout so they can see what is in store for them and prepare themselves.
------------------------------------------------------
I don't know how much i trust those shows as the truth. Like once i saw an early Pawn Stars episode and the brother of the owner of American Restoration came in with a Coke machine he wanted to sell, he said he got it at a garage sale or something and didn't know what to do with it, you would think a guy that restores vending machines and other collectibles for a living would know what to do <g>. And then there was a lady with a failing restaurant in a Restaurant Impossible episode appearing in a Food Court Wars commercial.

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688441 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/9/2013 11:20 PM
I don't know how much i trust those shows as the truth.

I surely do like believing they are true though, especially the restaurant ones and I think they are...mostly. "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.” as people like Mark Twain, Lord Byron and Art's mom liked to say.

There are marathons of Bar Rescue on Spike the next two weekends. It must be popular with Spike viewers. It looks like this is the third season too, sounds right up my alley, don't know how I've missed it.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688465 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/10/2013 8:32 AM
"I'm also reading a book I really like: Oscar Wilde Discovers America by Louis Edwards, a fictional account of Wilde's late 19th century lecture tour of America written from the point of view of his young black valet assigned to him early on after his arrival in the U.S. I was getting kind of desperate for a book I enjoyed after starting about 6 and giving up on each after the first 50 pages, including two Saul Bellow novels I had been wanting to read for some time. But this one grabbed and caught me in 3 pages--that's the kind of book I need. It is funny about hot weather. It just isn't as easy to find something you enjoy reading in hot weather." - catmeyoo
----------------------------

I'm currently reading Anne Rice's "The Vampire Armand" and I swear it's like reading gay porn. Anne Rice's son is gay and I guess she went through a stage where she was just trying to work out what happened when her son had sex?

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688466 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/10/2013 8:37 AM
"Then tonight Jeff Lewis and his Interior Therapy season starts again on Bravo." - Catmeyoo

My favorite show on Bravo is Top Chef but I did go through a stage where I watched Jeff Lewis for a couple of years. Then he got mean and was firing all these people that worked for him and I decided that I really didn't like him as a person because he came across to me as being unenlightened, mean, and greedy. He cares more for his dogs and cat then he does people. Also his obsession with cleanliness is just nutty. So I drifted away from watching him.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688468 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/10/2013 8:49 AM
"My son and daughter in law think they might like to open a new restaurant in Chadron after he retires from the navy in a few years. I've seen at least 6 open and close in the last 10 years just in my little town and am worried about it sucking up their whole lives and then still failing ...<snip>....I keep telling them to watch Mystery Diners and Restaurant Stakeout so they can see what is in store for them and prepare themselves." - catmeyoo
----------------------------------------

95%+ of new restaurants fail. I predict "disaster!"

Art

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688469 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/10/2013 8:54 AM
In Bay City (MI) there are three location that I can name where every restaurant that goes there fails. It's been that way for decades. From the outside the buildings look like restaurants, but either the rent/lease is attractive to underfunded folks, or they get carried away by being the only eatery in that section of town, or whatever.

I'd say your 95% figure is likely spot on.

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688470 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/10/2013 8:57 AM
Both restaurant and retail are eerily similar in that they are low margin businesses with little to separate them. The public is fickle. Fads come and go. Today's hot eatery is empty tomorrow.

Granted, there are exceptions (MCD comes to mind) but generally as a rule, I avoid both type of stocks like they are radioactive.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688473 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/10/2013 9:19 AM
"I'd say your 95% figure is likely spot on." Wolverine

I actually didn't make that one up. I read it somewhere. Maybe the other person made it up? I don't know.

I was a Danver's restaurant manager for a year and half after I first graduated from college. I made ~ $13,000/year and worked about 60+ hours a week. It was hell. They used to call me in on my days off. I hated it and made up my mind that I was going to find me a government job. I finally found a Superviser position in Lab Animal Medicine at the Univ. of Georgia School of Pharmacy. I worked there two years 1980-1982.

Bonnie wanted to move to Tennessee and I thought it would be a big adventure so I quit my sweet job at UGA and we moved to Knoxville, Tennessee. It took me a year and half to get a job at the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine in Knoxville. For that year and half when I was searching I worked as a Meat Cutter at an IGA on Kingston Pike.

When I agreed to move to Tennessee I didn't realize it would be for the rest of my life. I should have known if I married a Tennessee girl that one day I'd end up living here and once she got me here I'd never leave. I figure now that one day they'll be dragging me out of this house feet first in a body bag.

A word to the wise.... if you marry someone from Tennessee one day you will live in Tennessee and you'll never get to leave.

Art

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688489 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/10/2013 12:16 PM
95%+ of new restaurants fail. ~Art

73.6% of statistics are made up on the spot. ~Steven Wright

Restaurant Failure Rates Recounted: Where Do They Get Those Numbers?
http://www.restaurantowner.com/public/302.cfm

Several years ago, researchers at Cornell University and Michigan State University conducted a study of restaurants in three local markets over a 10-year period. They concluded the following: After the first year 27% of restaurant startups failed; after three years, 50% of those restaurants were no longer in business; and after five years 60% had gone south. At the end of 10 years, 70% of the restaurants that had opened for business a decade before had failed. Those are far different numbers than a 90% failure rate after the first year quoted by our television star chef. Another academic research study concluded that 81.4% of all small business failures result from forces within the control of the owners/managers. The bottom line is that even if the failure rate is a little daunting, failure is not inevitable.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688491 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/10/2013 12:25 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/stories/2003/09/08/daily16...

In September of last year [2003], the online Dayton Business Journal reported that Ohio State University researchers debunked "the common business wisdom that restaurants fail at 90 percent to 95 percent in the first year." According to H.G. Parsa, associate professor of hospitality management at the university, a longitudinal study of restaurants indicated the failure rate for restaurants in Columbus, Ohio, was 57 percent to 61 percent for a three-year period from 1996 to 1999. The highest failure rate was noted during the first year, when about 26 percent of the restaurants failed. About 19 percent failed in the second year and 14 percent in the third year, according to the analysis.

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688508 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/10/2013 2:24 PM
He cares more for his dogs and cats then he does people -- Art

Jeff and I have that in common.

I came to him late--like a couple years ago and wasn't interested in him or his house flipping at all the first few years but somewhere along the way, probably when the housing market collapsed and he started decorating instead, I changed my mind and now I really like his stuff and his cast. I may have decided I liked him just at the time you decided you didn't since I was always glad when he fired those people and thought they fully deserved it and were better off for it. (He's a soft touch for a hire back if you promise him you will do better.) I especially began to like him though, too, after seeing him as a guest on Andy Cohen's Watch What's Happening show on Bravo Sunday through Thursday nights, another show I like. Do you ever watch that? It's the most fun of any live show on the air if you have a taste for it. Even Morning Joe's Willie Geist agrees with me and is a frequent guest.

I do like the real estate guys too, both east and west coast. Talk about over the top personalities you can learn to love or hate. Bravo experiments a lot--I try to catch the first show of a new series--and am always relieved when I don't like a new one so it is one less thing to try to catch. There are plenty of them too. They've got a couple right now--one about servers on a yacht for rent. One viewing of that was more than enough. And I hate their new one about 4 sets of newlyweds. And one last winter about 4 psychiatrists and their patients, ugh.

I've liked Top Chef from the beginning. New one starting this month. Hooray. And of course the Housewives. I do have to have me some housewives, especially the New York City and Beverly Hills set. I wish they would start one in San Francisco. I wonder what caused the divorce between Project Runway and Bravo. Money probably. The Lifetime show doesn't have the pizazz Bravo gave the show but I still do watch it.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688515 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/10/2013 3:30 PM
"I especially began to like him (Jeff Lewis) though, too, after seeing him as a guest on Andy Cohen's Watch What's Happening show on Bravo Sunday through Thursday nights, another show I like. Do you ever watch that? It's the most fun of any live show on the air if you have a taste for it." Catmeyoo
----------------------

I've just caught bits and pieces of Andy Cohen's shows after Top Chef. I like Top Chef a lot and usually watch it religiously. I'm usually not much for talk shows where they sit around and talk, even if it's funny. I think my Asperger's might keep me from caring or getting involved in their discussions? I just don't care. If it's not about something I'm involved in or interested in it is very difficult for me to pay attention to it.

Art

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688548 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/10/2013 9:20 PM
Look up The Dixie Highway. It had a few routes, but all of them essentially went from the Upper Midwest to FL. One branch ran a couple of blocks from the house I grew up in. My paper route was along it too.

I live a stone's throw from the northern end of Chicago's Halsted Street. According to maps I've seen, at some point in Chicago's south suburbs, Halsted Street becomes the Dixie Highway -- going all the way down to, I have no idea, Dixie? Now your post is confusing me because you say the Dixie Highway was near where you grew up (I'm presuming in Michigan, most of which is quite a bit north of Chicago). Or are there more than one? You did say something about "branches".

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688549 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/10/2013 9:25 PM
Driving Miss catmeyoo! My brother is retiring in a couple of years. Maybe he could do it. He loves obscure places, and he's already there.

arrete

If I had better eyesight and had not recently been subject to a fainting spell myself, I would volunteer for the job. <grin>

I understand catmeyoo's concern and feelings of uncertainty. You think that if it happened once without warning, it could happen again anytime and anywhere. It's a scary feeling.

In my case, my passing out this past March wasn't due to "getting up too quickly", as someone else on this thread suggested. I was seated at the time. Who knows what happens in one's physiology to suddenly throw blood pressure out of whack?

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688563 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/11/2013 7:17 AM
I live a stone's throw from the northern end of Chicago's Halsted Street. According to maps I've seen, at some point in Chicago's south suburbs, Halsted Street becomes the Dixie Highway -- going all the way down to, I have no idea, Dixie? Now your post is confusing me because you say the Dixie Highway was near where you grew up (I'm presuming in Michigan, most of which is quite a bit north of Chicago). Or are there more than one? You did say something about "branches".

http://us-highways.com/tzimm/dhmap23.htm

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 688570 of 757566
Subject: Re: Roads! Date: 7/11/2013 10:11 AM
"In my case, my passing out this past March wasn't due to "getting up too quickly", as someone else on this thread suggested. I was seated at the time. Who knows what happens in one's physiology to suddenly throw blood pressure out of whack?" - Andrew

Your body was automatically rebooting itself? It's funny when it happens because somehow the brain knows how to bring itself back online and start working again.

Art

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement