Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Foolintheopen Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 318  
Subject: Robohand: Date: 2/2/2013 6:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How cheap 3D printers built a replacement hand for a five-year old boy

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/02/roboha...

First video shows boy picking up coins with his new hand. Really talking about the possibilities for cheaper products say for less developed countries. In the U.S. and elsewhere there is money enough for plenty of people to buy a nicer prosthetic. However, with all of the other people not having lots to spend, how could they not purchase a cheaper version?

I guess I like to see the improved precision and aesthetics of a more expensive, higher end printer (like some DDD printers) but what if most everyone can get by with just an ok one? In other words we just print the cheapest throw away stuff like the world mostly does now? If that happens then I am concerned for long term gains for DDD (The Cube in particular) trying to go into the home environment. I just don't see a lot of profit in it. I think the cheaper printers will own most of the residential market.

Second video is like Nightmare on Elm Street with the claw/razor/fingers this guy designed... Cool stuff but scary thinking what weapons might be designed to attach to a person's arm or something.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Berkshire Beyond Buffett Event
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement