Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFHelical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 892  
Subject: Roche Counts Out Greece Date: 9/19/2011 10:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
This is starting to play out like the early stages of an Ayn Rand Novel. I fully expect there to be even more polarization over the pharma industry, and its responsibilities vs. its need to innovate and turn profits. Today in Pharmalot there was yet another story about the increasing difficulty pharma companies are having with Greece, and apparently the broader EU. I blogged in late August that Greece had apparently paid some pharma with government bonds, and Roche was quite public about this amounting to a discount on top of the negotiated prices of the medications.

Well, Roche has had enough of that and has joined Novo Nordisk in cutting off the Greece hospitals.

Roche Halts Delivery To Greece Over Payments
http://www.pharmalot.com/2011/09/roche-halts-delivery-to-gre...

Roche is no longer sending meds for cancer and other afflictions to state-owned hospitals that have not paid their bills and the drug maker may do the same in other countries, such as Spain, Italy and Portugal, where bills are going unpaid.

They continue to supply private pharmacies. Still, this is not good, and likely to get worse IMO.

Roche started cutting off certain Greek hospitals after issuing warnings last summer. Greek hospitals and pharmacies generally pay Roche directly and then seek reimbursement from the taxpayer-funded health-care system, the paper writes. By contrast, pharmacies are privately owned. Meanwhile, should the Greek financial situation still worsen, Roche could “have even more troubles” collecting its debt, Schwan worries.

TMFHelical
Home Coverage Fool
Long JNJ, but cut back a bit on it and on all other pharmas I had owned.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement