UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10543  
Subject: Roku/Router Question Date: 11/30/2012 7:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Wasn't sure to ask here or on the computer board - I have a wired TWC modem and a wireless router, which I'm currently using as wired for my Tivo, media player, and the modem. If I get one of the wireless-only Roku's, will it connect via wireless to my router? Or do I also need a wireless modem? Obviously, this is not my area of expertise, any insight appreciated.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9988 of 10543
Subject: Re: Roku/Router Question Date: 11/30/2012 10:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm not specifically familiar with the Roku setup. However, if you have a wireless router then your Roku should (I would expect) be able to connect through that to the rest of the home network. You do NOT need a modem. The modem is only for accessing the outside world through your provider The router, as the name implies, routes the traffic inside your home. You could unplug the modem and the router will still allow all connected devices to see each other (assuming subnets and such are set properly, which they nearly always are by default).

1pg

Author: chestersakl Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9990 of 10543
Subject: Re: Roku/Router Question Date: 11/30/2012 5:06 PM
Actually, most of the Roku boxes ONLY connect via WiFi, so if you're thinking about going wired at any time pay attention to the specs on the one you buy. Your wireless router is fine.

There is only one model that also has an ethernet port which is the Roku 2 XS

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement