Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DorMill Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 57389  
Subject: Roll call Date: 8/3/2012 11:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
It's been a while since anyone posted so I guess it's time for a roll call. Hope you are all still not smoking or working on it.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jackjg1947 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56460 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/4/2012 9:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
OK, still checking in but not much going on lately.

Jack G

Author: vr5240 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56461 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/4/2012 11:24 AM
I was wondering why it was so quiet here lately. Maybe everyone is on vacation.

Come on guys. Let's hear from you. You're not smoking, so you've got more time to post.

If you're still smoking, read some old posts and get inspired. Or post with any questions. If there's any type of quit-smoking device, at least one of us has tried it, and will be glad to answer any questions.

Come on folks, the silence is deafening!

Hugs.

Verna

Author: TMFDitty Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56462 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/4/2012 1:03 PM
Just speculating here, but ... ever since the Fool rolled out its new profiles page, comments posted on this board now show up front and center on the "activity" page of anyFool who posts.

It could be that folks who are struggling to quit don't want to be defined by (or constantly reminded of) their addiction. I'll bet if there were some way to "mask" or "toggle off" feeding posts from a specific board onto someone's profile, the discussion here would perk right back up.

TMFDitty

Author: DorMill Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56463 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/4/2012 4:39 PM
Activity page?

I know when something new is added to a board I'm interested in, it shows up in a list with the number of new posts. Sometimes I don't read them but I always pay attention to a select few, such as this one.

When I don't want to be bothered by a board (such as facebook), I can unselect it and not see the yammering that was going on there nor have it show up on my list. There are other boards I do that with.

Folks that are struggling to quit are very welcomed here. They are not defined by their addiction but by the fact they want to quit.

Some of us have fought this battle more than once. We are always facing the fact that our addition can jump out when we least expect it.

Author: ekavana186 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56464 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/4/2012 4:45 PM
I'm here and still not smoking. I've been recovering from surgery and just got back to work this week after 8 weeks. Other than that it's been a quiet year.

Ed

What is this profile stuff, the TMF screen hasn't changed that I have noticed?

Author: jackjg1947 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56465 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/4/2012 9:56 PM
Well, Ed, I'm glad you didn't die cause you didn't stop by to say goodbye. Hope the other Ed family quitters are still quitting.

Jack G

Author: ekavana186 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56466 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/4/2012 10:39 PM
Jack,

DW has one year smokeless now, DD1 stopped for about 6 months but relapsed, DD2 never really stopped but the last time I talked with her DH he told me she is down to about a half to a quarter pack a day, he has great hopes that it will extinguish in time.

I'm glad I didn't die either. Colon cancer is a real pain in the <XXX> but I was very fortunate to be early on and it had not gone into any organs or lymph nodes so I have avoided chemo and radiation (keeping my wonderful head of hair).

Ed

BTW, I'd come to say goodbye but I think the man upstairs has me scheduled to go to the other place.

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56467 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/4/2012 11:14 PM
I ran 14 miles this morning, ending my week with 43 total miles of running (a new record for me). I'm training to run my first marathon on September 30th in Scotland.

Add that to the long list of things I'd never have done if I hadn't quit smoking. I'm fifteen years older than I was when I quit smoking and at least fifteen times healthier. Life is good.

Nugget
I quit smoking 15 years, 3 months, 1 day, 4 hours, 14 minutes, and 15 seconds ago. During that time, I would have smoked 122,483 cigarettes. (That's like smoking a 5.80 mile-long cigarette) By quitting, I've saved $21,434.52! (That's 64 Hoosier R6 Racing Slicks and change) I've avoided inhaling 3.18 kg of tar, 195 grams of nicotine, and 1.96 kg of carbon monoxide.

Author: Blackduff Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56468 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/5/2012 10:14 AM
I'm still alive and not smoking. I live close to the border between Spain and France. We had a series of big fires and the smokers couldn't drive down to Spain to buy the cheap (er) cigs on that side. The big fires had lots of smoke but the smokers were not happy with the "Free" smoke.

Slowly the prices in Spain are getting closer to the French prices, which means some smokers will stop.

Glad that all of the nonsmokers are living great without the nicotine.

Blackduff

Author: jackjg1947 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56469 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/5/2012 2:35 PM
You'd still be a favorite quitter of mine even without the hair. Sorry to make light of your medical situation without knowing what was going on. Serious stuff! Stay well, we need you.

Jack G

Author: shelley511 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56470 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/8/2012 8:10 PM
Ed,

So happy to hear that you are mending and that you caught the cancer early. My husband had colon cancer 29 years ago - also needed no chemo or radiation(even though his had broken through the intestinal wall). Anyway, sounds like you're on your way to at least another 30 years if not more.

Shelley

Author: ekavana186 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56471 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/8/2012 8:17 PM
Thaks Shelly, I am not sure DW wants me around for another 30 years but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Ed

Author: sellers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56475 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/15/2012 7:25 PM
First - congratulations to Ed on beating the colon cancer! Good for you. I'm sure it's been a hard summer, but oh so nice to come out at the end and feel well again. Good for you.

DH and I are experiencing our first Arizona summer. Can I say, "Interesting"? Many, many days over 110. I know it's a dry heat, but it's hot :-) We've also been enjoying time with the grandkids - now 4, 2 and 2 months. Hard to believe we ever had that much energy.

There is so much to see and explore in the desert and in the city that there's never a time of wondering what to do. I love the sunshine and most of the heat. The people are friendly and we've made some new friends. My sister (lives in Seattle) bought a house 1/2 hour from ours and will be spending winters here. Tons of good stuff going on ---- and ---- I'm still now smoking :-)

Hello to all!

Joan

Author: sellers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56476 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/15/2012 7:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
not

Author: ekavana186 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56477 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/15/2012 8:07 PM
I knew you meant that!

We grandparents stick together, right?

Ed

Author: sellers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56478 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/16/2012 12:51 AM
Yes, we do! :-)

Joan

Author: favoredwun Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56481 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/18/2012 8:39 PM
Sorry I missed roll call, but just wanted to let everyone know I'm still smoke-free!!! I never think about me smoking, but I do think about this board often. I even missed my own anniversary, so I'll post my stats here:

Ten years, six days, 19 hours, 34 minutes and 24 seconds. 65876 cigarettes not smoked, saving $16,469.17. Life saved: 32 weeks, 4 days, 17 hours, 40 minutes.

Birdwalk, if you're out there, Happy Belated Anniversary!! And Everyone keep up the good work!!!

Marla
(Favoredwun)

Author: vr5240 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56482 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/19/2012 7:31 PM
Hi Marla. Wlcome back and congratulations on your ten-year anniversary. That's HUGE! Please stick around long enough for me to present you with your 10-year medal.

Please let me put this medal around your neck. It is made of platinum and encrusted with diamonds, with the number ten spelled out in emeralds and rubies.

C*O*N*G*R*A*T*U*L*A*T*I*O*N*S

Marla, please hang around and post every so often. Your posts were very detailed and helpful. There are newbies here who could benefit from your posts.

Thanks a bunch.

Verna

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56485 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/20/2012 10:56 AM
I stopped rollin when I stopped smokin.

Howie52

Author: favoredwun Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56486 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/20/2012 11:55 AM
WARNING: LONG REPLY!!!

Verna, I sure will do that. And for my anniversary, I just want to rest. It has been a VERY VERY VERY hot summer here in the Midwest, and I don't want to see another a/c or central unit for awhile!! We had a string of 100+ degree WEEKS, many of which @ 8pm it was still 95 deg outside. I'm done!

For my rest, I just wanna go ride my motorcycle on an ever winding, unending country road until I need a nap. I'll get off my bike, grab some sleep under a tree, jump back on and ride on. When I'm satisfied that I've had my fill, I'll ride back home and go back to work. (That could take a few weeks, tho! LOL)

To every quitter, YOU CAN DO IT!!! Just don't give up. If you slip back and smoke, deal w/what made you wanna smoke and try again. NOTHING BEATS A FAILURE BUT A TRY!!! Just don't quit! (Even if stuff starts falling off, right Jack?)

I'll spend some time catching up on posts, so I get to know who's here. I can't wait to "meet" the newbies. I still remember my first day here, and it was great. The veterans told me to post often, and believe me, it does help a great deal. This is an exceptionally supportive forum, and there's always someone here to offer a word of encouragement. You'll see.

Enjoy your day, Everyone. I'm gonna pray especially for the board today.

Marla
"favoredwun"

Author: jackjg1947 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56487 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/20/2012 12:29 PM
Marla,

WAY TO GO ! ! !

As you said, DON'T SMOKE EVEN IF YOUR "STUFF" FALLS OFF!

Hang in there,

Jack G

Author: CoffeeladyinFL Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56488 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/20/2012 7:57 PM
Popping in to say "hello" to all and nice to see Marla posting.

Linda

Author: jackjg1947 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56489 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/21/2012 7:35 AM
Hi, Linda,

Nice to see you posting also!

Jack G

Author: ehore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56490 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/21/2012 10:47 AM
I am not sure DW wants me around for another 30 years but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I was wondering the same thing after my little heart attack in March. The fact that I haven't smoked for 12 years, have changed my diet, am working out regularly and have lost over 40lbs means she's out of luck! While going through Cardiac Rehab, I also took up bicycle riding and am now doing 15-30 mile rides a couple times a week. I have decided to put the riding to good use. My sister's husband is a member of the board of directors of the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. They take part each year in the New England Parkinson's Ride in Old Orchard Beach, Maine. I am getting ready to head east and join them this year, doing some fundraising while getting my cardio exercise with either a 30 or 50 mile ride. If any of you are willing to support my effort here is the link to my fundraising page: http://www2.michaeljfox.org/site/TR/TeamFox/TeamFox?px=10179... Here is the website for the ride itself: http://www.neparkinsonsride.com/

Ed, I'm glad to hear you are recovering well. Jack, my butt fell off and I wouldn't dream of smoking (nightmare maybe, but no dream)! Quitting smoking may be a Royal PITA but the last 12 years of my life have been vastly better without it!

Elliott

Author: ehore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56491 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/21/2012 12:55 PM
Ed, I really appreciate the donation to the Michael J. Fox Foundation in support of my effort. If I survive the event, I'll be sure to post a picture that you all want to see of me in my biking spandex (you realize of course that the late great Phyllis Diller was also from St. Louis)! After our Reunion of People Who Had Never Met in Alexandria, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis which has been in remission for several years. Along with a family history of colon cancer it has put me in the high risk category so I undergo colonoscopies every 3 years. Like quitting smoking, they are a PITA but I have come to fully understand the necessity of periodic roto-rooting to keep the pipes clean! Be healthy, that's an order!

Elliott

Author: ekavana186 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56493 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/21/2012 1:42 PM
If I survive the event, I'll be sure to post a picture that you all want to see of me in my biking spandex

I thought I was paying not to see the pictures!

PITA Is this an intentional pun?

Good Luck Elliott, Godspeed.

Author: catfyre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56495 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/21/2012 5:23 PM
Good for you, Elliott, - I've joined your ride and will be thinking of you Sept 8th
Good Luck and stay well!!!

cat

Author: ehore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56497 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 8/21/2012 8:38 PM
Cat, I just got a notification from the Michael J. Fox Foundation about your donation. I really appreciate your support. Something I didn't mention before, Sergey Brin, the co-founder of Google and his wife have made a $50 Million matching challenge so as a new participant any funds I raise will be matched dollar for dollar by their foundation. Brin's mother was diagnosed with Parkinson's a few years ago. I know for a fact that in my smoker days, I could not have done this. I would have been flat on my back halfway up the first hill!

Thanks,
Elliott

Author: ehore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56543 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 9/14/2012 8:35 AM
Ed and Jan, I thank you again for supporting my fundraising effort in the New England Parkinson's Ride this past Saturday. I accomplished what I never would have achieved as a smoker, completing the 50 mile route (54 miles). I was going to do the 30 mile ride but, discovering that my sister was doing 50, sibling rivalry set in. No way she was doing more than me! Altogether our team raised over $16,000 including the $1,276 I raised. With the Matching Challenge from Sergey Brin and his wife, the total for our team will actually be around $26,000. The total for the New England Parkinson's Ride as a whole is now going over $160,000 raised for the Michael J. Fox Foundation. Years of smoking may have contributed to the heart attack I suffered in March, but the 12 years now of not smoking have helped me to be able to recover quickly and actually enjoy making the 50 mile bike ride. The effort necessary to quit smoking has definitely been worth it!

BTW, on the way back to St. Louis, I drove by Buffalo on I-90. I thought about stopping to say HI to Jack but I was afraid that I might get stranded there by one of those lake effect snows!

Elliott

Author: jackjg1947 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56544 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 9/14/2012 8:36 PM
Elliott,

You should have stopped by. We'd find something to BBQ even in a snowstorm. (and Anderson's sells their ice cream at 1/2 price anytime it's snowing!)

Good work on the fund raising. Stay healthy.

Jack G.

Author: catfyre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56546 of 57389
Subject: Re: Roll call Date: 9/15/2012 8:02 PM
That's fabulous Elliott! Holy smokes- 54 miles!!

I am impressed!

*!*

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement