UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: hergee Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: roll roth ira into 401k? Date: 6/3/2001 7:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a roth ira from my previous job but now I have a new job with a 401k that matches 80%. Can I roll my roth ira into the 401k? I've just been letting it sit there for now...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30048 of 76237
Subject: Re: roll roth ira into 401k? Date: 6/3/2001 10:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have a roth ira from my previous job but now I have a new job with a 401k that matches 80%. Can I roll my roth ira into the 401k? I've just been letting it sit there for now...

Roth IRAs have nothing to do with former employers. As far as I am aware, you cannot roll a Roth IRA into an employer plan of any flavor.

The 80% match usually does not apply to money rolled into an employer plan from either a former employer's 401(k) or from a "conduit IRA" (a "rollover IRA" that was funded only by money from a previous employer's 401(k)), so the match is usually not a reason for rolling in money. The match usually applies only to money put into the employer's 401(k) from payroll deduction at that specific employer.

Author: RVComeaux Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30069 of 76237
Subject: Re: roll roth ira into 401k? Date: 6/4/2001 11:29 PM
Even if you could, why would you want to roll a Roth IRA into a 401(k)?

You've already paid all the taxes you're going to pay on the money in the Roth IRA.

If you roll it into a 401(k), you've got to pay ordinary income taxes on the money when you take it out. Double taxation -- that you cause yourself. My recommendation: don't cause double taxation.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement