UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pudinfool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76235  
Subject: Rolled Over - What Now? Date: 6/14/2000 4:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi there...

After leaving my company, I rolled over my retirement ($30K) earnings into a traditional IRA with Schwab, and it's just sitting in their money market earning 5%.
Unfortunatley, I did this AFTER learning about all the cheaper brokers out there, and I don't think you're allowed to roll-over more than once a year. Anyway, now that I'm with Schwab, where should I allocate these funds? I'm interested in the "foolish four" stradegy, but this could be expensive with Schwabs commissions. Should I just wait a year and move to a cheaper broker?

Thanks all!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22588 of 76235
Subject: Re: Rolled Over - What Now? Date: 6/14/2000 4:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
You can only do one rollover a year, but you can do a trustee-to-trustee transfer more frequently. Like whenever you want.
So you can choose a discount broker and make your trade when ready. However, expect Schwab to assess a fee, probably $50 for transferring the money out and closing the account.
Best wishes, Chris

Author: pudinfool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22590 of 76235
Subject: Re: Rolled Over - What Now? Date: 6/14/2000 5:02 PM
Thanks for the info, Chris. Is a trustee to trustee transfer a painless process? How do i do it?

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22598 of 76235
Subject: Re: Rolled Over - What Now? Date: 6/14/2000 5:32 PM
<< Thanks for the info, Chris. Is a trustee to trustee transfer a painless process? How do i do it? >>

Totally painless, except for the fee that Chris mentioned. Pick your new custodian (TMF has a discount broker center), and they will guide you through the process.

TMV ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22629 of 76235
Subject: Re: Rolled Over - What Now? Date: 6/15/2000 12:21 PM
Thanks for the info, Chris. Is a trustee to trustee transfer a painless process? How do i do it?

Totally painless, except for the fee that Chris mentioned.

Except that your former custodian may decide they like hanging on to your money. I think law allows them to hang on to it for up to 9 months.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement