Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Looking to move 401K money into an IRA. Any recommendations on reasonably costed companies? Consumer Reports doesn't have info on front-end/back-end/...costs for managing my money and I would prefer to give as little of it as possible to a money manager. I feel I can make the investment decisions but can't get a handle on what I must pay for someone to keep my money.

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
It depends on what you want to do.

1. Purchase a portfolio of mutual funds, which would indicate a low cost mutual fund company. Such as Vanguard or Fidelity etc.

2. Purchase a portfolio of individual securities such as stocks and bonds the a low fee brokerage would be suggested, there are some mutual fund companies which allow customers to purchase stocks. The Brokerage chosen would need to match the services desired (which affects the commision cost on each trade).

I know this is not very specific but how you want to invest your self directed IRA shapes which options make better sense.

May God Bless
Bob
No. of Recommendations: 1
Looking to move 401K money into an IRA. Any recommendations on reasonably costed companies? Consumer Reports doesn't have info on front-end/back-end/...costs for managing my money and I would prefer to give as little of it as possible to a money manager. I feel I can make the investment decisions but can't get a handle on what I must pay for someone to keep my money.

Thanks

You don't say how much is involved, but most of the front-loaded funds work on a sliding scale. If you have more than $500K, it should be less than 1%. That's how it works with American Funds, at least.

I can also echo the advice to use Vanguard or Fidelity.

cliff
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hello Wyemtnar,

You should not pay anyone to keep your money. Brokerage houses like Fidelity do not charge you to hold your money.

When you manage your own investments you might buy stocks, mutual funds, etc. When you buy those investments the brokerage house will charge you fees. So, depending of the type of investments you are planning to make, you should check different brokerage houses with the lowest fees.

Juan

Note: I make investments through Fidelity.
I also use Fidelity and cannot speak highly enough. It is very easy to roll your 401K into your own IRA with Fidelity. Transaction fees through Fidelity can be as low as $8. I do not pay any IRA fee. Customer service is great.

OTOH, I do have the services of a fee for service financial advisor who has access to my account to make trades for me. I negotiated the fee to what I believe is fair. Fidelity also will invest for you, but you would have to look very carefully into that. Also, they seem to like to push annuities which I stay away from. Otherwise, I find them most helpful in providing retirement information for no charge, etc.

I would go to the brokerages websites first and take a look at services. Also, some you can visit in person if they have offices near you.

Good Luck,

Birgit
I rolled my 401 into an IRA at Scottrade. I like to choose my own stocks.
They charge $7 a trade for any amount, and for market or limit orders.,
Been with them for ove 5 years and would recommend them is you want to manage your investments your self.

Jon
Advertisement