UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Snocatman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75540  
Subject: Rolling over Mutual Funds Date: 3/2/2000 1:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a mutual fund that I bought before I became a Fool. It has had respectful gains in the past but has posted a 30% loss over the last year. I would like to take control of this money now as a Fool would.

Is there any way that I can roll the fund into an IRA or any other account without paying capitol gains taxes?

If there is no way out of paying taxes, what would be my best option to recoup my money?

Thanks,

SnoCatMan
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BookmFool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19715 of 75540
Subject: Re: Rolling over Mutual Funds Date: 3/2/2000 1:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Snocatman asked, in part:

Is there any way that I can roll the [mutual]fund into an IRA or any other account without paying capitol gains taxes?

Only cash can be contributed to an IRA.

If there is no way out of paying taxes, what would be my best option to recoup my money?

Research what you'd like to do with the money, find a better performing Foolish investment and be thankful you found the Fool when you did.

Checking out the Fool's IRA section and all the "All About IRA's" area to the right of the page may give you some more guidance, the link:

http://www.fool.com/money/allaboutiras/allaboutiras.htm?ref=G02C05

And to better understand IRA's check out IRS publication 590 at their website:

http://www.irs.gov/forms_pubs/pubs/p590toc.htm

Ridin' the ship of Fools,

BmF

Author: Chipsboss Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19716 of 75540
Subject: Re: Rolling over Mutual Funds Date: 3/2/2000 1:25 AM
Is there any way that I can roll the fund into an IRA or any other account without paying capital gains taxes? No. If there were any way out, people wouldn't pay that job-destroying tax. If you have some unrealized capital losses, you could realize them in the same tax year as the gains, to cancel out some or all of the tax due. Otherwise, you can spread the gain out over several years by selling part of the position each year.

There isn't any best way to invest specifically to recoup your money. The performance of your next investment will not be influenced by the performance of your prior investment. Your choice of that next investment will be influenced by prior experience. I've been more prosperous, happier and more relaxed since I quit trying to beat the market and put most of my money in the Vanguard S&P index fund and Schwab 1000 index fund.

Regards,

Chips, inveterate indexer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement