No. of Recommendations: 0
I have an IRA that I opened by rolling over $1300 from my 401k plan earlier this year. I then contributed $2000 to the account and bought NOK at $27. I would like to roll this over into a ROTH IRA.

My question: The original $1300 was taken out of my paychecks by my employer so I did not pay taxes on this but the $2000 came out of my pocket and I have not claimed this on my taxes yet. can I simply roll it into the ROTH IRA and only pay the taxes on the original $1300?

also Can the losses on NOK offset the taxes I will owe by rolling over into the ROTH.

Thanks for the help.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.