Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My wife has a 401k from her previous long term employer that we are getting ready to transfer to our Vanguard rollover IRA which we set up previously when she took the cashout from her pension plan. There is a small amount ($1700) of after tax contributions in the 401k that we would like to seperate out so as to not have to keep track of it as it grows. I am wondering if we could transfer it into her Roth IRA instead of the rollover or other options to simplify future tax issues? Anybody have any experience with this situation?

Thanks, Winston.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.