Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
Let me write a note to clarify terminology.
The term "rollover" is used in two senses with respect to IRAs.
If you leave a job where you had a 401k, one of your options is to do a "rollover". The art in doing a "rollover" is to NOT take control of the money yourself at any point, so as to avoid the "rollover" being treated as an early withdrawal.
So you direct the trustee of your 401k, via paperwork supplied by your ex-employer, to transfer the funds in your 401k to a new custodian/trustee selected by you. This is called a "rollover". Note that you do not, or should not, ever get your hands on the money. Note also that you do this only once for leaving one job.

Once you have your IRA money with one or more custodians, you are allowed to do a "rollover" once in a year. You may generate cash in your IRA, direct the custodian to issue you a check, and use it for whatever purposes you see fit--for 60 days. At the end of 60 days the money must be back in the IRA, with either the same or a different custodian. You may do this just once in a year.

You can also choose to move money that is already in an IRA to a different custodian without taking possession of it yourself. This is
called a trustee-to-trustee transfer. You would like to have your account with broker/bank/mutual fund company A. It is now with B.
You tell A you want to make this change and open an account. They send you papers to fill out and sign. You do so, enclosing a copy of your most recent statement from B. You send it to A. You don't have to so much as tell B goodbye. A does the rest of the work.
You can do this as many times a year as you wish.
When you close your account with B, they are likely to charge you a fee, typically $50. This comes out of your account and is not tax-deductible. If you move your IRA every week those fees will add up, so it is not likely to be a good idea to move the money around very often, but the problem is not with the IRS.

It has always seemed to me that the correct way to do the rollover at the end of a job, when you are moving money from the old 401k to your IRA, should be termed a trustee-to-trustee transfer, because you do NOT get your hands on the money. It does differ from the transfer done on money already in the IRA in that you MUST give instructions to the 401k trustee. You tell the new custodian that you plan to have your IRA, and they may issue an account number for your unfunded account, which you can communicate to the 401k trustee, but the rest is done from the 401k trustee.
However, things are not always done in a logical manner.
The way you can get money temporarily from your IRA is called a rollover. We may not like what they call it, but above are the rules.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.