No. of Recommendations: 0
I am newly on the path to Foolishness and am ready to commit money to my own Foolish cause. My wife and I have the following:

1. She: $53k rolled over from a 401k to a regular IRA in 1998. It went into SIX! Fidelity funds, (You need to diversify, own value, growth, bonds, long and short, blah, blah, blah.) We're thinking of leaving this alone for now till we see what we do and what happens with the following.

2. Me: $6k IRA that started as $2k in 1987.

3. Me: $74k in a variable annuity. It started as $50k in 1996. I would especially appreciate comments on this as I believe this may be subject to surrender charges and other fees for selling/converting to a Fools investing approach.

4. Me: $53k that was Wisely rolled over into a regular IRA in FIVE! Putnam funds (see no. 1) just a month ago. But, hey, it's never too late, right?

5. Us: $35k in a money market account and $8.5k in OSICX.

Now, neither of us cares if we roll our former 401ks into another, some day. We would like to combine/add to these funds in a Foolish way. Can I roll my recently rolled over money immediately or is there a waiting period?

Is it best (or even possible) to roll the money into a new IRA gradually, or is it best to go for the full monty?

I'd like to keep this as simple as possible and end up with as few accounts as necessary. Oh yes, I funded a new regular IRA for my wife for 1998 and 1999. I intend to fund a new Roth for myself before April 15 for 1998 and 1999 because of my involvement in the 401k last year. Both are being funded from the mm account. We are both currently between jobs.

How should I handle the old IRA and the annuity? I am reluctant to try to get answers from my soon-to-be-former financial planner as he gets defensive and evasive when I challenge some of his recommendations, so I would like to have a clear idea of how to set this all up beforehand, and then execute in one swell foop.

Thanks very much in advance.
Rich
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement