UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CVSUSN Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 134023  
Subject: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/8/2012 12:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 39
You can read it here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/mitt-romney-foreign-policy-sp...

But it should be seen and heard because Romney looks and sounds presidential. A leader of the United States. The focus is primarily on the Middle East, but there are some significant excursions.

He mentioned George Marshall several times. He was a grad of VMI where the speech took place. Is this a heads up on where his foreign policy will head if elected or just a tip of the hat to one of their famous alums? Personally, it's where he goes with foreign policy.

He begins the speech about the attack on the consulate in Benghazi and then talks about darkness and light as tyranny and liberty. Good and evil.

We saw all of this in Benghazi last month—but we also saw something else, something hopeful. After the attack on our Consulate, tens of thousands of Libyans, most of them young people, held a massive protest in Benghazi against the very extremists who murdered our people. They waved signs that read, “The Ambassador was Libya’s friend” and “Libya is sorry.” They chanted “No to militias.” They marched, unarmed, to the terrorist compound. Then they burned it to the ground. As one Libyan woman said, “We are not going to go from darkness to darkness.”

This is the struggle that is now shaking the entire Middle East to its foundation. It is the struggle of millions and millions of people—men and women, young and old, Muslims, Christians and non-believers—all of whom have had enough of the darkness. It is a struggle for the dignity that comes with freedom, and opportunity, and the right to live under laws of our own making. It is a struggle that has unfolded under green banners in the streets of Iran, in the public squares of Tunisia and Egypt and Yemen, and in the fights for liberty in Iraq, and Afghanistan, and Libya, and now Syria. In short, it is a struggle between liberty and tyranny, justice and oppression, hope and despair.

We have seen this struggle before. It would be familiar to George Marshall. In his time, in the ashes of world war, another critical part of the world was torn between democracy and despotism. Fortunately, we had leaders of courage and vision, both Republicans and Democrats, who knew that America had to support friends who shared our values, and prevent today’s crises from becoming tomorrow’s conflicts.

Statesmen like Marshall rallied our nation to rise to its responsibilities as the leader of the free world. We helped our friends to build and sustain free societies and free markets. We defended our friends, and ourselves, from our common enemies. We led. And though the path was long and uncertain, the thought of war in Europe is as inconceivable today as it seemed inevitable in the last century.

This is what makes America exceptional: It is not just the character of our country—it is the record of our accomplishments. America has a proud history of strong, confident, principled global leadership—a history that has been written by patriots of both parties. That is America at its best. And it is the standard by which we measure every President, as well as anyone who wishes to be President. Unfortunately, this President’s policies have not been equal to our best examples of world leadership. And nowhere is this more evident than in the Middle East.

Compare and contrast time. Obama says America is exceptional just as Germany is exceptional. The UK is exceptional. India is exceptional. Obama leaves it at that. Romney says America is exceptional and lays out the examples. In essence, we will assist our friends and confront our enemies.

And then he comes up with some numbers:

The size of our Navy is at levels not seen since 1916. I will restore our Navy to the size needed to fulfill our missions by building 15 ships per year, including three submarines. I will implement effective missile defenses to protect against threats. And on this, there will be no flexibility with Vladimir Putin. And I will call on our NATO allies to keep the greatest military alliance in history strong by honoring their commitment to each devote 2 percent of their GDP to security spending. Today, only 3 of the 28 NATO nations meet this benchmark.

And then some Middle East programs:

I will make further reforms to our foreign assistance to create incentives for good governance, free enterprise, and greater trade, in the Middle East and beyond. I will organize all assistance efforts in the greater Middle East under one official with responsibility and accountability to prioritize efforts and produce results. I will rally our friends and allies to match our generosity with theirs. And I will make it clear to the recipients of our aid that, in return for our material support, they must meet the responsibilities of every decent modern government—to respect the rights of all of their citizens, including women and minorities… to ensure space for civil society, a free media, political parties, and an independent judiciary… and to abide by their international commitments to protect our diplomats and our property.

I will champion free trade and restore it as a critical element of our strategy, both in the Middle East and across the world. The President has not signed one new free trade agreement in the past four years. I will reverse that failure. I will work with nations around the world that are committed to the principles of free enterprise, expanding existing relationships and establishing new ones.

These last two weeks are going to garner him the election.

My vote is no longer a vote against Obama. It's a vote for Romney.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107026 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/8/2012 1:08 PM
Recommendations: 1
We saw all of this in Benghazi last month—but we also saw something else, something hopeful. After the attack on our Consulate, tens of thousands of Libyans, most of them young people, held a massive protest in Benghazi against the very extremists who murdered our people. They waved signs that read, “The Ambassador was Libya’s friend” and “Libya is sorry.” They chanted “No to militias.” They marched, unarmed, to the terrorist compound. Then they burned it to the ground. As one Libyan woman said, “We are not going to go from darkness to darkness.”

I was hoping some pol would have noticed that. Libya represents a massive opportunity for us - the people there aren't your fundie types that are content to sack Egypt. We can work with these guys and, most importantly, the Libyans want to work with us. This is all the more important given that Egypt appears to be on the verge of being lost.

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107027 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/8/2012 1:20 PM
Recommendations: 0
it should be seen and heard because Romney looks and sounds presidential.

This weekend, even the left-wing democrat-apologist Eleanor Clift said Romney looked more like a President than Obama during the debate. There is something to be said for visuals--and the visual impression left to an unprecedented tv audience last Wednesday was that Romney was presidential material--and Obama's image as such was clearly undermined. Something like appearances--something which all those carefully-crafted photo-ops are meant to exploit--may finally be working for Republicans this time.

Author: drebbin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107030 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/8/2012 1:26 PM
zoningfool: This weekend, even the left-wing democrat-apologist Eleanor Clift said Romney looked more like a President than Obama during the debate.

Which should have surprised no one, right? Whatever criticisms one can make about Romney, he looks like he was born to be President. If he were in Hollywood, he'd be getting the call to play the role as President all the time.

Author: katinga Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107034 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/8/2012 1:34 PM
There is something to be said for visuals--and the visual impression left to an unprecedented tv audience last Wednesday was that Romney was presidential material--and Obama's image as such was clearly undermined.

It is well-known in linguistics that non-verbals better communicate truth to a listener than verbals. This includes gestures, facial expression, even the tie you're wearing.

Why do you think that a department store puts the perfume counter up front at the entrance from the mall? Because scent predisposes someone to like the store.

Visuals were 80% of the debate. This is so fundamental that one wonders at whether there was any debate prep at all on Obama's part.

Author: drebbin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107035 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/8/2012 1:36 PM
katinga: Visuals were 80% of the debate. This is so fundamental that one wonders at whether there was any debate prep at all on Obama's part.

0bama botched the visuals, but he was trounced on the substance. Just obliterated. If not for that, nobody would be talking about how he looked down too much and smirked. Given that he had his @$$ handed to him by Romney, there is a piling on effect. 0bama needs to get the non-verbal cues right next time, and then hope for a substance-free debate.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107038 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/8/2012 2:01 PM
Recommendations: 8
What it really shows is Obama is properly identify what happened in Libya a being a true "people's revolution"--and it seems they want democracy. The Libyan public's actions indicate the attack on the US compound as deliberate AND planned--and only a large contingent of Libyan military could have had even a chance to prevent it IF they could have been in place (which would require advanced notice, etc--which did not exist).

Thus, what Romney did was *confirm* Obama was correct. And thus, the US should re-elect Obama as POTUS.

Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107074 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/9/2012 12:48 AM
Recommendations: 4
Obama says America is exceptional just as Germany is exceptional. The UK is exceptional. India is exceptional. Obama leaves it at that. Romney says America is exceptional and lays out the examples. In essence, we will assist our friends and confront our enemies.

Did we go to Iraq and Afghanistan for this purpose? How did that work out?

Mr Romney is putting on a big show to court the pro-military vote. He still hasn't demonstrated a way that he can cut taxes and pay for all of those new ships, etc.

Romney looks and sounds presidential

Hmmmmm.....isn't that setting the bar a little low?

My vote is no longer a vote against Obama. It's a vote for Romney.

You're not alone. Romney survived the Republican debates because his competition was......well, I don't want to be uncharitable. Now the Party is stuck with Mitt, and he's putting on a show, promising something for everybody.

Please do not respond by pointing out the faults of President Obama. That would be changing the subject.

Jack

Author: Vile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107075 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/9/2012 4:14 AM
Recommendations: 11
"Did we go to Iraq and Afghanistan for this purpose? How did that work out?

No. It isn't surprising the Left still doesn't know why we went. We did what we went to do. Our results are decidedly mixed because we weren't committed and we had a bad CiC who doesn't know how to be CiC.

"Mr Romney is putting on a big show to court the pro-military vote. He still hasn't demonstrated a way that he can cut taxes and pay for all of those new ships, etc."

It doesn't appear to be a show. Why do you so easily eat the Left's talking points. He has shown how he will pay for it. Again, not surprising you don't get it.

"Hmmmmm.....isn't that setting the bar a little low?"

We elected Zero on Hope and Change. How's that worked out for you? Most Americans are worse off.

"You're not alone. Romney survived the Republican debates because his competition was......well, I don't want to be uncharitable. Now the Party is stuck with Mitt, and he's putting on a show, promising something for everybody."

Promising someone for everyone? Yeah, it's called prosperity and unlike dems, we do not put people in boxes, label them, pit them against other Americans and make promises we can't keep to each of our little labeled groups. We offer the same thing to all Americans in a show of unity and equality, just as the founders intended.

Cheers,

Vile
NEVER SAY DIE!!!

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107082 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/9/2012 7:43 AM
Recommendations: 4
You're not alone. Romney survived the Republican debates because his competition was......well, I don't want to be uncharitable. Now the Party is stuck with Mitt, and he's putting on a show, promising something for everybody.

I was a pro-Romney primary voter. In fact I was a pro-Romney primary voter in 2008 too.

This apathy about Romney you're counting on was far overstated IMHO. Plenty of us are just fine with his core beliefs and though we may have quibbles about certain things he's done in the past that simply means he's not a perfect candidate... but no candidate is perfect. We don't have to deify someone to vote for him, that's more of a Dem thing.

The NRA endorsed Romney/Ryan last week. That has to get the goat of liberals who kept pushing the line "Romney's a gun grabber!!! Massachusetts!!! Assault Weapons Ban!!!" Hey, Bush campaigned on renewing the AWB, but had a change of heart and didn't when it expired and then nominated two of the five Justices who ruled the right way in the Heller and McDonald cases. Romney is far more likely to nominate Justices like Alito and Roberts than Sotomayor and Kagan (who ruled the wrong way in McDonald, for the record).

I truly believe that a President Romney could be just as great as Reagan. Don't forget that Reagan was pretty liberal when he was younger, far more liberal than Romney ever was. Reagan was a Union president at one time! But he evolved to become the standard-bearer for Conservatism in the Oval Office. Romney seems to be cut of that very same mold IMHO. I'll just as happily vote for him in November as I did this spring in the Michigan primary (and the race is close in Michigan, which is back into the "toss-up" category, VERY bad news for Team 0bama!)

Author: drebbin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107083 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/9/2012 8:56 AM
Recommendations: 25
some troll: Romney survived the Republican debates because his competition was......well, I don't want to be uncharitable. Now the Party is stuck with Mitt, and he's putting on a show, promising something for everybody.

Perfect example of the left-wing bubble that these lunatics live in, sequestering themselves from any and all information that doesn't conform to their preconceived beliefs. It is most interesting to criticize Romney for how he merely "survived" the primary debates, when Romney's latest debate performance was far better than 0bama's performance ever at, well, anything. The G0P voters chose Romney, after an unusually long tryout of every other candidate in the mix. It was a thorough vetting, and since Republicans are less prone to idol worship of their latest candidate, there remains concern about him. But stuck with him? He was chosen as the best candidate after a long process. Sorry you missed the whole thing.

Regarding putting on a show and promising something for everyone, I can only laugh about that. At you. This is 0bama's calling card. And you love him for that. But since you heard someone criticize him for it, you thought you would try that same line out. Only you look foolish because it makes no sense. Perhaps it isn't so bad once you are used to it.

Colovion: I'll just as happily vote for him in November as I did this spring in the Michigan primary (and the race is close in Michigan, which is back into the "toss-up" category, VERY bad news for Team 0bama!)

But lefties won't read that because they don't like it. They've already decided that 0bama has it in the bag, because after all, everyone they know is voting for him. And all those polls prove it, because there are going to be 33% or 50% more Democrats voting this year. If Romney wins, it can only mean that he cheated and Republicans stole the election.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107085 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/9/2012 9:22 AM
Recommendations: 2
and he's putting on a show, promising something for everybody.

This describes the core and essence of Obama and today's democrat party. All in the name of compassion of course. How ironic for a lib to make this false claim about Romney. Projection much?

Author: drebbin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107086 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/9/2012 9:39 AM
It's like they've been hit with the magical memory eraser. Good thing for the interwebs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107092 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/9/2012 10:15 AM
Our results are decidedly mixed because we weren't committed and we had a bad CiC who doesn't know how to be CiC.

Good grief! You're going to blame the mess in Iraq on President Obama???
WHO was president for most of the war?

(Romney) has shown how he will pay for (increased defense spending)

In my opinion, he has shown nothing of the sort. He talks a good game though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/opinion/searching-for-romn...

Jack

Author: JohnEBgood Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107094 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/9/2012 10:22 AM
Recommendations: 2
I was a pro-Romney primary voter.

You were in the minority for most of the Republican primary contest. Face it, Romney won because one by one the lunatics were eliminated.

Plenty of us are just fine with his core beliefs and though we may have quibbles about certain things he's done in the past...

OK, what are his core beliefs? Religion, the Constitution, Motherhood, Apple Pie, etc?

Unfortunately, as you well know, the ways that he will implement those values seems to change by the week.

Jack

Author: rbednarski Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107099 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/9/2012 11:12 AM
This describes the core and essence of Obama and today's democrat party. All in the name of compassion of course. How ironic for a lib to make this false claim about Romney. Projection much?

Just about everything the left accuses Romney of is projection. Bad tax returns, lying, sordid past, dishonesty. It is all they know. They figure that if they are that way then either Romney is also that way or at least they can try to convince people he is.

Author: twopairfullhouse Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107104 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/9/2012 12:04 PM
What it really shows is Obama is properly identify what happened in Libya a being a true "people's revolution"--and it seems they want democracy. The Libyan public's actions indicate the attack on the US compound as deliberate AND planned--and only a large contingent of Libyan military could have had even a chance to prevent it IF they could have been in place (which would require advanced notice, etc--which did not exist).

Thus, what Romney did was *confirm* Obama was correct. And thus, the US should re-elect Obama as POTUS.

Translation: "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA"

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 107156 of 134023
Subject: Re: Romney Foreign Policy Speech: Wow! Date: 10/9/2012 7:30 PM
Translation:

Can't help what with what R-R is singing this time.

It will be just the opposite of what they said less than a week ago.

Your biggest problem is R-R spinning you like a top.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement