UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734707  
Subject: Romney on college tuition Date: 10/17/2012 10:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 22
From last night's debate I heard Romney say this:

"When I was governor of Massachusetts, to get a high school degree, you had to pass an exam. If you graduated in the top quarter of your class, we gave you a John and Abigail Adams scholarship, four years tuition free in the college of your choice in Massachusetts, it’s a public institution.

I want to make sure we keep our Pell grant program growing. We’re also going to have our loan program, so that people are able to afford school."

College would be more affordable if these grants and free tuition deals were eliminated. These politicians do not appear to grasp this fact. Provide grants and free tuition and the colleges simply ratchet up their tuition amounts. This is a distortion of the free market and is a no-brainer.

Mike
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649238 of 734707
Subject: Re: Romney on college tuition Date: 10/17/2012 11:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
College would be more affordable if these grants and free tuition deals were eliminated.

Louisiana has the same sort of deal, called the TOPS program. The idea is if you go to college here, you'll stay and work here. For years the thought was that college kids went to other states for school and didn't come back.

Two big problems. Those that could go away were probably going to go away regardless, out of state will always be more expensive. And now you have kids going away in the state just to get away from home and only racking up more debt when they graduate.

JLC

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649254 of 734707
Subject: Re: Romney on college tuition Date: 10/17/2012 12:34 PM
Recommendations: 1
College would be more affordable if these grants and free tuition deals were eliminated. These politicians do not appear to grasp this fact. Provide grants and free tuition and the colleges simply ratchet up their tuition amounts. This is a distortion of the free market and is a no-brainer.

Only a liberal could believe that dumping billions of dollars of federal money into the college education market would make it CHEAPER. Uh, no morons! They'll take every dime you give them and demand more, more, more! All it does is artifically inflate the cost.

Look at my Alma Mater, UofM. Is there any reason in-state tuition should be in the $10,000 range per year while out-of-state is over $50,000? No way the average Michigan family is paying $40,000 in taxes per year just to UofM. But does anyone actually pay $50,000 per year out-of-pocket to go to UofM? Very few, the rest get scholarships or (more likely) federal loans. Could UofM charge $50,000 per year without federal loans? Nope, it would have to be WAY closer to the in-state tuition rate (which itself is inflated for the same reason).

That's beside the fact that the feds shouldn't be in the business of subsidizing college education in the first place. Not one of their core responsibilities (or secondary, tertiary, etc.!) Military academies, sure... but every public and private school throughout the land (save for those few, like Hillsdale, that reject federal funding outright)? One could argue that states can do this, but the feds? Not if the term "limited government" has any meaning at all!

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649266 of 734707
Subject: Re: Romney on college tuition Date: 10/17/2012 1:09 PM
Recommendations: 4
What we need is for colleges like Harvard to dump professors like Elizabeth Fauxcahontas Warren, who get paid $250,000 a year to teach exactly one course.

you think your tuition at Harvard isn't sky high because of all the 'faculty' that is just there for political correct reasons? Who don't teach, don't even do research, but just suck up Harvard money?

Obama did the same when he was an 'adjunct professor' in Chicago. Taught the same course over and over again......and got paid $$$$$ for doing it. He wasn't even good at doing that.....most of his students panned the courses he taught....saying it wasn't worth the money or the time.

It's waste and abuse like that that helps run up college costs. Padding the faculty rolls with 'name' professors who just occupy office space and contribute nothing or next to nothing toward educating the student body.

t.

Author: xjwarner93 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649271 of 734707
Subject: Re: Romney on college tuition Date: 10/17/2012 1:21 PM
Recommendations: 3
I don't think it's the grants/scholarships as much as the current thinking that even though tuition is high students can just get loans. In my opinion, the cheap student loans do more to push up the cost of college. The idea that everyone needs to go to college has also pushed up the demand. Frankly, I think college education for some is complete waste of money at current prices.

John

Author: AdvocatusDiaboli Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649315 of 734707
Subject: Re: Romney on college tuition Date: 10/17/2012 2:42 PM
Recommendations: 1
College would be more affordable if these grants and free tuition deals were eliminated.

That statement is true on average, but not for those who wouldn't have the means to pay the tuition.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649384 of 734707
Subject: Re: Romney on college tuition Date: 10/17/2012 6:39 PM
Quoted: When I was governor of Massachusetts, to get a high school degree, you had to pass an exam. If you graduated in the top quarter of your class, we gave you a John and Abigail Adams scholarship, four years tuition free in the college of your choice in Massachusetts, it’s a public institution.

Same thing in CA. If you maintain a 4.0 in HS, you get a totally free ride to the California State University system. Free tuition, room and board and books.

Niiiice.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 649671 of 734707
Subject: Re: Romney on college tuition Date: 10/18/2012 6:44 PM
you think your tuition at Harvard isn't sky high because of all the 'faculty' that is just there for political correct reasons? Who don't teach, don't even do research, but just suck up Harvard money?

No, I think the tuition at Harvard is sky high because of government grants and subsidies, and the politically-correct "faculty" are there because... well, all those subsidies and grants mean that's where the money is - and it's safer than bank robbery.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement