UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 90319  
Subject: Romney the bigot Date: 9/13/2012 12:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Regarding Romney's charactorization of the attacks on US offices in Lybia and Egypt.

"The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims - as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions," the embassy said at 6:18 a.m. EDT, shortly after noon Cairo time.

That's the statement that Romney referred to as the administration's "first response." By Wednesday morning, the Republican nominee was at a podium in Jacksonville, Fla., saying that statement "appeared to be an apology for American principles." It's a theme Romney has hammered against Obama throughout his presidential campaign, including in his campaign book, "No Apology."

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20120913/DA18I6MO0.html

So Romney is saying that religous bigotry, spreading hate and inciting violence are "American principles"? I'm used to the right spreading this "American exceptionalism" nonsense, that the US never appologies, never dips it's flag and never shows respect for other nations or other leaders, but endorsing hate as an "American value"? What a pantload.

Of course, the media is spreading rumors that the Ambassador's dead body had been dragged through the streets, and, of course, is trying to blame AQ for the attack. How do they figure it was AQ? Supposedly the attackers had military style weapons. Lybia just had a Western backed civil war. Everyone there has military style weapons.

One local note, Christian fanatic Terry Jones, who has been promoting the hate film in question, comes up to the Detroit area from time to time to agitate anti-Muslim hate.

Terry Jones's Dearborn Protest Takes Place Without Incident

Quran-burning Pastor Jones used the Islamic Center as a backdrop to discuss what he says are signs of Sharia Law in Dearborn.
April 7, 2012

http://dearborn.patch.com/articles/terry-jones-dearborn-prot...

Steve
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89896 of 90319
Subject: Re: Romney the bigot Date: 9/13/2012 6:21 AM
Recommendations: 1
So Romney is saying that religous bigotry, spreading hate and inciting violence are "American principles"?

No, he's talking about freedom of speech where you or I can criticize Allah or Moses or the Pope. Even the Dali Lama.

DB2

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89897 of 90319
Subject: Re: Romney the bigot Date: 9/13/2012 9:51 AM
No, he's talking about freedom of speech where you or I can criticize Allah or Moses or the Pope. Even the Dali Lama.

Looks more like he is defending hate speech and condemning those who criticize it.

So "free speech" is only for those who preach hate, not for those who oppose hate speech? Or is it just anti-Muslim hate, like Terry Jones preaches, that is OK, and not the anti-Semitic hate that Ahmadinejad preaches?

Steve

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89898 of 90319
Subject: Re: Romney the bigot Date: 9/13/2012 10:03 AM
Recommendations: 0
So "free speech" is only for those who preach hate, not for those who oppose hate speech?

No, free speech is for all. There are no laws against blasphemy in the United States.

Now it appears even the White House had problems with the Cairo embassy message:

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/09/12/inside_th...
A heated discussion ensued among State Department and White House officials over e-mail as the controversy over the statement grew Tuesday evening, even grabbing the attention of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton....

"People at the highest levels both at the State Department and at the White House were not happy with the way the statement went down. There was a lot of anger both about the process and the content," the official said. "Frankly, people here did not understand it. The statement was just tone deaf. It didn't provide adequate balance. We thought the references to the 9/11 attacks were inappropriate, and we strongly advised against the kind of language that talked about ‘continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims.'"

Despite being aware of Washington's objections, the embassy continued to defend the statement for several hours, fueling the controversy over it, a decision the official again attributed to Schwartz.

DB2

Author: wcaseym Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89899 of 90319
Subject: Re: Romney the bigot Date: 9/13/2012 10:21 AM
he's talking about freedom of speech where you or I can criticize Allah or Moses or the Pope. Even the Dali Lama.

Yes, ... but you forgot [or omitted on purpose?] to add to your string of shamans / deities that he's also talking about 'free press' to publish, say: picture of a Rabbi, with a bomb on his head, ... say, the next time Israel invaded Lebanon! Right?

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89900 of 90319
Subject: Re: Romney the bigot Date: 9/13/2012 10:56 AM
Recommendations: 2
There are no laws against blasphemy in the United States.

There is an abundance of violence against religious minorities however.

On August 5, 2012, a mass shooting took place at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, with a single gunman killing six people and wounding four others.[3][4] The gunman, Wade Michael Page, a white supremacist, shot several people at the temple, including a responding police officer. After being shot in the stomach by another officer, Page fatally shot himself in the head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_Sikh_temple_shooting

Knoxville Unitarian Universalist church shooting

During the interview Adkisson stated that he had targeted the church because of its liberal teachings and his belief that all liberals should be killed because they were ruining the country, and that he felt that the Democrats had tied his country's hands in the war on terror and they had ruined every institution in America with the aid of major media outlets. Adkisson made statements that because he could not get to the leaders of the liberal movement that he would then target those that had voted them into office. Adkisson stated that he had held these beliefs for about the last ten years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoxville_Unitarian_Universalis...

Steve

Author: DrBob2 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89901 of 90319
Subject: Re: Romney the bigot Date: 9/13/2012 11:15 AM
Yes, ... but you forgot [or omitted on purpose?] to add to your string of shamans / deities that he's also talking about 'free press' to publish, say: picture of a Rabbi, with a bomb on his head, ... say, the next time Israel invaded Lebanon! Right?

Right.

DB2

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89902 of 90319
Subject: Re: Romney the bigot Date: 9/13/2012 11:42 AM
Right.

heh, tell that to Fox News. Why do you think US pols pledge fealty to Israel?

I do not believe that we should be issuing public warnings that create distance between the United States and Israel. Israel does not need public lectures about how to weigh decisions of war and peace. It needs our support.

http://www.mittromney.com/blogs/mitts-view/2012/03/mitt-romn...

Pretty clear message Mitt: blank check for Israel, and hate for Muslims.

Steve

Author: wcaseym Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89903 of 90319
Subject: Re: Romney the bigot Date: 9/13/2012 12:00 PM
Right

... to the omitted on purpose part? :) Didn't want to risk being called out as anti-Semite, did you? No trouble, ...

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89904 of 90319
Subject: Re: Romney the bigot Date: 9/13/2012 6:09 PM
Romney has few GOP echoes in criticism

"U.S. leaders should unite in redoubling our efforts in the Maghreb and Middle East, practicing the kind of stout diplomacy exemplified by Ambassador Stevens," said Sen. Dick Lugar, R-Ind.,
----
Pressed to explain Romney's criticism, some of the candidate's allies in Congress struggled to defend him while others were noticeably silent.
----
Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky said Obama "correctly tightened the security overseas." Asked about Romney's remarks, he declined to answer.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20120913/DA18OGOG0.html

Is Romney good for anything, other than enriching his cronies in the financial industry?

Steve

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89905 of 90319
Subject: Re: Romney the bigot Date: 9/13/2012 6:33 PM
Steve, here's a short answer to you question on the previous post....No.

Donna

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89906 of 90319
Subject: Re: Romney the bigot Date: 9/13/2012 8:51 PM
If Romney is a bigot, then so are a lot of us, me included. The Muslims are responsible for more troublemaking and killing and hate than anybody else in the world. I wish we didn't have any Muslims in this country, and after the evil things that so many Muslims have done worldwide, I have no sympathy for them when they get attacked or persecuted or discriminated against. Muslims as a group have every bit of it coming to them, and then some.

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89907 of 90319
Subject: Re: Romney the bigot Date: 9/13/2012 11:57 PM
Recommendations: 3
Unfortunately, I must disagree. Yesterday, I had been requested to notarize a marriage certficate for a young Muslim couple (from Morrocco). The parents and the couple were absolutely lovely and devine hosts. We discussed the state of political affairs, and I discovered that the Mom, Dad and daughter are all citizens and are very proud of that fact. The groom (it was an arranged marriage)is going to apply for his Green card and then citizenship. Fortunately, Columbia, SC (per the Mom and Dad) has welcomed them with open arms and they feel very safe here, even with all the rednecks.

I was referred to this couple by another Muslim couple I married in 2007. Mom and Dad informed me that as a group, the Muslims (just as is my experience with the Asians in our community) always refer their friends to certain people for certain services. I am proud to be on their list.

And, I am very proud of our community.

Donna

Author: agyjdgphil Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89912 of 90319
Subject: Re: Romney the bigot Date: 9/17/2012 1:14 AM
Actually, I think it's quite fortunate that you disagreed with rinjr...someone needs to point out that he is stereotyping millions of people with his hateful comments. I guess he doesn't actually know any of the kinds of Muslims you just described. Maybe he does know them and doesn't realize that he does....Anyway, thanks for your thoughtful and compassionate response. Comments like rinjr's always need to be rebutted so as not to be considered acceptable.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement