No. of Recommendations: 0
Do you guys realize that Romney is 65 years old??

Man, I don't know about you, he comes across as a vibrant 50-55 year old to me. He's energetic, good-looking (where are the wrinkles??), and vibrant, and mentally sharp.

Often the case is made that Reagan was almost 70 when he took office in 1981....one of the oldest presidents ever to take office.

Romney is only 5 years younger...yet he talks, acts and moves like he's 20-30 years younger. McCain age was also an issue in the last election.

How does Romney come across like a 50-55 year old?? He's a multi-multi millionaire (not quite a billionaire), does he have medical treatments to retard aging?? LOL.

But seriously, I was really surprised when I learned about his age. He's full of energy and enthusiasm....my God, my father and mom at 65.....damn, they were always ready to go to sleep.
Print the post Back To Top
he is young acting and he does have good skin, nice smile, and my goodness, he stays active. Also, I think Mormons in general take care of themselves, physically in what they eat.

I'd Google it but it would take an Ice Age on dial up.....I have so little. :)
LD, you're still on dial up??
LD, you're still on dial up??
AOLFool

>>>>>>>>>>

Comcast Internet went on the fritz this afternoon......so I'm glad I have my AOL dial up at the ready at a cost of $6.99 a month.

LD
No. of Recommendations: 1
Do you guys realize that Romney is 65 years old??

Man, I don't know about you, he comes across as a vibrant 50-55 year old to me. He's energetic, good-looking (where are the wrinkles??), and vibrant, and mentally sharp.

Often the case is made that Reagan was almost 70 when he took office in 1981....one of the oldest presidents ever to take office.

Romney is only 5 years younger...yet he talks, acts and moves like he's 20-30 years younger. McCain age was also an issue in the last election.

How does Romney come across like a 50-55 year old?? He's a multi-multi millionaire (not quite a billionaire), does he have medical treatments to retard aging?? LOL.

But seriously, I was really surprised when I learned about his age. He's full of energy and enthusiasm....my God, my father and mom at 65.....damn, they were always ready to go to sleep.

Some of it is genetic. But I suspect it is mostly his clean "Mormon" living. Mormons avoid caffeine and alcohol, 2 drugs that cause physical harm to the body. Since I gave up caffeine years ago, I feel younger, sharper and my joints are no longer gummed up after years of abuse as an athlete. I rarely drink alcohol but on the 'special' occasions that I do, even mild amounts, my body is sluggist for almost 3 days.

Repeated use wears the body down and makes you look older. I turn 51 in a couple of months. People tell me I don't look over 40.

Ya I know, I read some of the so called 'scientific' studies that say moderate use of coffee and wine are healthy. Then you read one that says they are bad for you. It's like watching a tennis match.

What I always tell people is to give it a try yourself. Go off the stuff for a few months and watch what happens. That's worth more than any multi-million $ study done by a drug or food company.

decath
"What I always tell people is to give it a try yourself. Go off the stuff for a few months and watch what happens. That's worth more than any multi-million $ study done by a drug or food company." - decath
------------

Caffeine is a diuretic. I think it rinses the antioxidants out of your body. I try and avoid it as much as I can. Sometimes when we go out to eat I'll order a diet Coke as a treat but I don't drink it at home. I get addicted to caffeine fairly easily.

The P53 gene is a cancer suppressor gene. It is suspicioned that alcohol somehow interferes with the action of this gene. I don't drink alcohol so it isn't an issue for me. I don't like the way it makes me feel. Dizzy or woozy. It's not a pleasant feeling for me.

Artie
No. of Recommendations: 2

More than likely his Mormon upbringing has plenty to do with it. No caffeine, no alcohol, no smoking.

JLC
Comcast is working for desktop this morning but on the Apple iPAd it's not.

I hate computer problems.....suck lemons full time.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Ya I know, I read some of the so called 'scientific' studies that say moderate use of coffee and wine are healthy. Then you read one that says they are bad for you. It's like watching a tennis match.

My theory is everything in moderation, except smoking. That's the only thing I can't justify. Besides the stench is nausiating.

Little butter, little heavy cream, little fried, little Sam Adams, little tilapia, little greens, little black beans.

JLC
art
I don't drink alcohol so it isn't an issue for me. I don't like the way it makes me feel. Dizzy or woozy. It's not a pleasant feeling for me.

I don't even seem to get a buzz anymore when I drink alcohol. I have to drink a lot for it to give me that warm buzzy feeling, which usually means I'll get a hangover later on.

I don't know why that is. I used to drink 2 beers or one glass of wine. Get that good relaxing feeling and then stop. No problem. Now I almost immediately get a headache after I drink just a little.

So it's just best for me to stay away. If you are not getting a slight buzz, what's the point? <g>

decath
JLC wrote: "...little tilapia..."

Tilapia? Isn't that fish? Would would you limit your intake of fish?
decath wrote: Repeated use [of caffeine and alcohol] wears the body down and makes you look older.

Wells, that's what flaxseed is for. It counters the alcohol and caffeine. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. ;-)
Repeated use [of caffeine and alcohol] wears the body down and makes you look older.

Wells, that's what flaxseed is for. It counters the alcohol and caffeine. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I hope that flaxseed and other healthful oils are in the "good calories" category. That's because my daily dose of two tablespoons of the stuff contains 480 calories, about what lunch should contain. And it's nowhere near filling enough to be lunch.

On the other hand, as long as I low-carb, I can slurp all the flax oil and eat all the goat cheese, avocados, ribs and bacon that I want and never gain an ounce.

As far as looking older, most people assume I'm five to ten years younger than I actually am. So according to decath, if not for the all the caffeine and alcohol, I'd look like I'm 40.<g>

Here's my oil. A 32-oz bottle lasts about five weeks. I buy two at a time to save on shipping and stick one in the freezer. I also get my coconut oil from these folks:

http://www.omeganutrition.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=ELEBO03...

--fleg
hey, they have pumpkin energy oil for pets!

http://www.omeganutrition.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=PFPPE12...{D214D287-75C0-4232-A0AE-9BAF94808C62}
Now wait a gosh darned minute. So now alcohol and caffeine are bad for you? You guys are worse than the dueling headlines in medicine. (g) I thought that the caffeine is suppose to ward off dementia. And the antioxidants would keep you longer. And alcohol in moderation was supposed to keep your cardio system young promoting blood flow and oxigenation. Which is supposed to keep u young. But now they're both bad according to the board. Sometimes I wish I can jump ahead 50 years to find out what the real story is, rather than constantly get whiplashed by our current Medieval understanding of health, diet and medicine.
Sometimes I wish I can jump ahead 50 years to find out what the real story is

50 years ahead, all of America will resemble today's Detroit if Romney doesn't win. And the three official languages will be Arabic, Chinese and Spanish.;)

--fleg
Now wait a gosh darned minute. So now alcohol and caffeine are bad for you? You guys are worse than the dueling headlines in medicine. (g) I thought that the caffeine is suppose to ward off dementia. And the antioxidants would keep you longer. And alcohol in moderation was supposed to keep your cardio system young promoting blood flow and oxigenation. Which is supposed to keep u young. But now they're both bad according to the board. Sometimes I wish I can jump ahead 50 years to find out what the real story is, rather than constantly get whiplashed by our current Medieval understanding of health, diet and medicine.

AOLFOOL

>>>>>>>>>>
hey, I think the trick is all things in moderation unless you have a particular sensitivity to caffeine, alchohol, wanton(chinese)sex in which you abstain or not.

Smoking is an absolute no-no....smoke in the lungs just doesn't make any logical sense, if one wants the drug of nicotine...you can take a pill or patch. :)

I love my caffeine.

LD
This just in:

Study: Omega-3 Supplements May Actually Affect Aging

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/10/study-omeg...

CONCLUSION: Getting enough omega-3 fatty acid to change the balance of oils in your system may help preserve the length of your telomeres, with the potential to reduce the risk of age-related diseases.

My favorite parts of the study: the words "may" and "potential."

--fleg
Yeah LD, I understand the all-things-in-moderation argument. But that's a play it safe argument. We do that because we do not have perfect knowledge. A little bit of everything,just in case. It's sort of like diversification in investing. Diversification protects your investment but doesnt make u super wealthy. If we had better knowledge and certainty we'd know what to emphasize in our diets. Clearly some things are better than others. And some things way way better. We'd know what to overweight and things to cut out.
I had pancakes with 2 eggs over easy, and two strips of bacon for breakfast. 6 am at the Denny's while I read the paper....

Pigged out on a peanut butter, banana, and jelly sandwich for lunch. Did have a bowl of cereal with blueberries and raspberries for mid morning snack..high fiber cereal...

Tonight is pizza night. Half a California Pizza oven BBQ chicken pizza and a nice salad with spinach leaves, roma tomato, pinch of cheddar cheese, maybe some chicken, and teaspoon of ranch dressing. Yum....

Dreary day....only in mid 5os.....cloudy..no sun.....will be back to normal in a day or two. Sun tomorrow...80s by Tues.

t.
This just in:

Study: Omega-3 Supplements May Actually Affect Aging

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/10/study-omeg......

CONCLUSION: Getting enough omega-3 fatty acid to change the balance of oils in your system may help preserve the length of your telomeres, with the potential to reduce the risk of age-related diseases.

My favorite parts of the study: the words "may" and "potential."

--fleg

>>>>>>>>>>>

one thing for sure, taking supplements affects your wallet. :)

I take them and also give them to my chemo dog.

LD
Here's my oil. A 32-oz bottle lasts about five weeks. I buy two at a time to save on shipping and stick one in the freezer. I also get my coconut oil from these folks:

http://www.omeganutrition.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=ELEBO03......

--fleg

-------------

Holy Crap, $34 a bottle. What do they do, run it through a civet cat or something?
"Now wait a gosh darned minute. So now alcohol and caffeine are bad for you? You guys are worse than the dueling headlines in medicine. (g) I thought that the caffeine is suppose to ward off dementia. And the antioxidants would keep you longer. And alcohol in moderation was supposed to keep your cardio system young promoting blood flow and oxigenation. Which is supposed to keep u young. But now they're both bad according to the board. Sometimes I wish I can jump ahead 50 years to find out what the real story is, rather than constantly get whiplashed by our current Medieval understanding of health, diet and medicine." - aolf
--------------

It's a yin and yang thing. A chemical that might turn one cell "off" will turn another cell "on." That's how our body is made. That is why the old adage, "if a little bit is good, then a lot has to be better" doesn't hold true.

In our lungs are different types of cells and a chemical that turns the growth receptor of one type of cell "on" turns the growth receptor of the other type of cell "off." This is why it's so difficult to completely conquer cancer. A lot of chemotherapy attacks and kills one type of cell, but ten years down the road it causes another type of cell line to turn on. It might stop the cell growth of one type of cell, but in the meanwhile it has turn on the growth of another type of cell.

And the problem is that once these cells are turned on they start producing their own growth factor.

By the way Alcohol interferes with P53 cancer suppressor gene and has been implicated in pancreatic cancer.

Artie
Holy Crap, $34 a bottle. What do they do, run it through a civet cat or something?

I make up for it by drinking cheap wine. And just because you have no desire to preserve the length of your telomeres, that's no reason to get down on those of us who do.

--fleg

P.S. What do you call it when a person likes terrible coffee and convinces his friend to also believe it's good? Folgers a deux.
"Yeah LD, I understand the all-things-in-moderation argument. But that's a play it safe argument. We do that because we do not have perfect knowledge. A little bit of everything,just in case. It's sort of like diversification in investing. Diversification protects your investment but doesnt make u super wealthy. If we had better knowledge and certainty we'd know what to emphasize in our diets. Clearly some things are better than others. And some things way way better. We'd know what to overweight and things to cut out." aolf

Our body exists in balance. When things go out of balance are when problems arise. When the pH goes up or down, then things go out of whack. When the serum proteins go up or down, that means something is seriously wrong. When blood ions are out of balance, either up or down, that means that something is seriously wrong.

The same thing when we take in food or chemicals or whatever. A chemical might affect one cell type differently than another cell type. While a little alcohol might be beneficial for veins and arteries a lot turns off the P53 cancer suppressor gene and affects the liver in adverse ways.

Our body is extremely complex and simple adages and made up over the counter made up untested recommendations can be downright harmful.

I suspicion, as JLC tells us, that everything in moderation is the safest and only sensible approach when it comes to life. Except for tobacco, nicotine, which is a poison.

Art
I had pancakes with 2 eggs over easy, and two strips of bacon for breakfast. 6 am at the Denny's while I read the paper....

Pigged out on a peanut butter, banana, and jelly sandwich for lunch. Did have a bowl of cereal with blueberries and raspberries for mid morning snack..high fiber cereal...

Tonight is pizza night. Half a California Pizza oven BBQ chicken pizza and a nice salad with spinach leaves, roma tomato, pinch of cheddar cheese, maybe some chicken, and teaspoon of ranch dressing. Yum....

Dreary day....only in mid 5os.....cloudy..no sun.....will be back to normal in a day or two. Sun tomorrow...80s by Tues.

t.

---------------------

I had a big mug of Folgers for breakfast about 7 AM, watched Fox news and farted around on computer until about 10AM. Then, I headed over to Barn 2.0 and built a couple of walls. Good day to be working, low 60's, but overcast here too - makes it dreary like Portland - but I got lost in my work and only really noticed the gray skies when I went outside to pee.

Got back to Barn 1.0 about 6PM, took a shower, and have finished my first big mug of milk over ice. For dinner, I am re-heating the queso fleameado con chorizo that was left over from yesterdays dinner with Emily.

b.

I think it just goes to show you how little we really know how the human body works. One thing I've learned over the past 10 years is not to be dogmatic about any particular diet/or scientific study. I used to think veganism was the end-all final solution for health. Not so anymore, although I pretty much am still a vegan most of the time.

For example, this weekend DW made some chili with grass fed beef. Really good and it does not seem to bother me. Alcohol and caffeine. Oh my. If feel it immediately on the negative side. Caffeine will give me that rush for a couple of hours. But around 6-8 hours late, I get very irritable. It's a sign that my body is detoxing from the caffeine.

The proof is trying it and seeing how you feel, look and what your blood stats look like. I believe God made us marvelous self-healing bodies. We just have to give it the right ingredients and stop shoveling toxins into it.

decath
JLC wrote: "...little tilapia..."

Tilapia? Isn't that fish? Would would you limit your intake of fish?

Its not limiting my fish intake. Its more of substituting for red meat.

JLC
Advertisement