Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4 is another good source. It seems to be closely allied with, but it is free. A search there will let you find your name in World Connect if it is there. It also gives you access to Social Security records and vital stats in some states. might cost over $200 per year if you subscribe to all of it. One way around that is to visit your local genealogy center. My county library subscribes and will let you use theirs for 30 min at a time or longer if no one is waiting behind you.

You can also get a free trial of a month or so from Ancestry. So of course, get organized and get as much out of there as you can once you sign up.

If your family came to the US before 1930, census records are likely to be extremely valuable. Ancestry has them all (1790 to 1930). If your family goes back to the Civil War, Ancestry has indexes of pension records. Print outs of microfilm records (which often contain family details names of children, marriage certificates etc) can be ordered from National Archives.

Don't forget about the US Gen Web project, which has records on line from almost every county in the US. Once you know where your people lived you can sometimes find cemetery records and obituaries posted there. But you will also want to look for local records at courthouses and genealogy libraries near where they lived.

Good luck.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.