UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: HobbyDave Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Re: Convince me to put money into a ROTH Date: 3/29/2006 3:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
ROTH accounts seem like they really don't pay back much (I think I am drawn to higher risk and higher yield investments). Can someone please convince me that it is worth putting the money into an account like this.

Perhaps you're not aware of what a ROTH account is? It is just a stock account that doesn't ever tax you. Nothing more, nothing less (well, except for the contribution limitations, and the limitations on when you can take the money out).

I'd suggest reading a few articles on ROTH accounts (very easily found through Google), and it should help you understand more. If you can put money in now, then that is a good idea. It doesn't matter that you might not be able to some year. Some money is better than none.

I think I figured I could have around $400K when I retire. That is not going to do anything 30 years from now!

30 years from now it will still be a decent piece of change, even after inflation.. and since it's tax free, it's even better. And I certainly hope that it will not be your only investment plan. It is a side product that is not taxed, and is therefore efficient. Once you take advantage of it, move onto other investments.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement