UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: KatiesDad One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75777  
Subject: Roth & AGI Date: 11/10/1998 9:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was in the process of rolling my wife's IRA into a Roth when I noticed in my Brown & Co. info that, if married filing jointly our AGI could not exceed $100k. I've been under the assumption the limit was $150k for this case. Is Brown wrong? Are they setting their own guidelines?

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6572 of 75777
Subject: Re: Roth & AGI Date: 11/10/1998 11:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
To roll a regular IRA into a Roth, your AGI cannot exceed $100k. Thee $150k limit that you are quoting is for new contributions to a Roth IRA. You can contribute up to $2000 per year into a Roth IRA if your AGI is less than $150k. The $2000 limit gradually decreases between $150k and $160k. Above $160k, you will need to use a traditional non-deductable IRA.

For more information, try www.fairmark.com

..IF

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6583 of 75777
Subject: Re: Roth & AGI Date: 11/11/1998 4:08 PM
KatiesDad asks:

<<I was in the process of rolling my wife's IRA into a Roth when I noticed in my Brown & Co. info that, if married filing jointly our AGI could not exceed $100k. I've been under the assumption the limit was $150k for this case. Is Brown wrong? Are they setting their own guidelines?>>

No, Brown isn't wrong. I think you're confused about AGI limits for a conversion (which is $100K for joint or single filers) and those for the annual contribution. The latter is $95K for a single filer and $150K for joint filers. Above those amounts the allowable contribution drops to zero. Reach an AGI of $110K (single) or $160K (joint), and no annual contribution may be made to a Roth IRA. You may, though, still contribute to a nondeductible traditional IRA.

Regards….Pixy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement