Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, everyone. I have a converted Roth and a contributory Roth and will soon roll over a 401k into another Ira. The question is should I convert the 401k money into another Roth Ira (yes I know you have to first convert to traditional and then Roth). And yes I can pay the taxes due with money outside of the Ira. I like the idea of converting in 98 because I get to spread the taxes out over a 4 year period, but I also like the idea of having 2 different types of Ira's (roth and traditional) so that if the Congress changes the Ira laws in the future one Ira might be better than the other and thus by having both types I am covering my behind in a sense. Any ideas? Thanks, Bryan
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.