Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
AAAHHHHHH! By converting my 401k (75k) to an IRA and then to a Roth before end of 1998, I will be spreading out my taxes ($18750 added to my AGI each year). Since I obviously didn't know at the beginning of 1998 that I would be converting and my normal deductions didn't take into account the conversion, I now owe a lot more. ok so far. Since I increased my deductions this year to minimize my usual overpayment to Uncle Sam and subsequent huge (~2k) "refund", I have had less taxes taken out this year. I have heard that to avoid a penalty, either I must have had at least the same amount or higher taxes taken out in 1997 (not the case) or I must make an estimated tax payment before Jan. 15 to within $1000. of my final tax bill for not having enough taken out" for 1998. Is this correct?
Thanks for the help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.