Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In 1998 I combined 2 accts. into 1 roth conversion IRA:

1. I had an 401K which went into a rollover IRA which I converted into a Roth conversion IRA ($10K)

2. I converted my traditional IRA into that same Roth conversion IRA. ($10K)

I have a few questions about this:

1. What paperwork should I be expecting? (one 1099-R, two 1099's)-(I don't know if 1099-R is the correct name for IRA distributions, but in this example I will use 1099-R to make things simple)

2. For the 401K money I get taxed for the full amount converted, but for the traditional IRA, $8K of the $10K was non-deductible money I put in each of the past 4 years. I did submit 8606's for them. But will I get a 1099-R taxing me for the full amount of my traditional IRA? If so, what do I do to explain $8K was my basis from previous non-ded. contributions?

Also, I sent in the four 8606 forms this year. I only learned about that form this year. Do you think I will get penalized for sending them in late? Does this have an effect on how much my 1099-R for the traditional IRA distribution is?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.