Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rpwatson Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121169  
Subject: Roth Conversion at Market Loss Date: 4/17/2001 4:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I plan to convert to a Roth from an IRA containing deductible and non-deductible contributions of $12,000 each. Due to the market drop the total IRA value is now $17,000. How do I figure my taxable basis this year on the conversion? Would 50%($8,500) be the taxable basis or can I deduct the full $10,000 non-deductible contribution from the transfer value?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50409 of 121169
Subject: Re: Roth Conversion at Market Loss Date: 4/17/2001 6:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I plan to convert to a Roth from an IRA containing deductible and non-deductible contributions of $12,000 each. Due to the market drop the total IRA value is now $17,000. How do I figure my taxable basis this year on the conversion?

If you convert your entire traditional IRA (all accounts), your basis is $12,000. See the instructions for Part II of Form 8606.

Phil Marti

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement