No. of Recommendations: 0
A few months back I converted some "old" mutual fund IRA's (one for me, one for my wife) to traditional IRA's with a discount broker, and then switched those to a Roth. My question relates to the conversion.
We established the IRA's probably 12-14 years ago, and over a period about 6 or 7 years we made our $2K contributions 5 times. A couple of those times they were deductable contributions, but a couple of times they weren't.
When I calculate my 1998 taxes, would I have to include THE WHOLE conversion (actually 25% of it for this tax year) as income, or is there some formula I would use to determine the portion that was deductable, and only claim that piece of it?
I've downloaded Pub #590 from the IRS website, but it's "For use in preparing 1997 Returns", so it doesn't mention anything about a Roth.

Thanks in advance,

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.