UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tryan8777 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Roth early withdraw Date: 2/26/2000 4:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I converted a regular to a Roth IRA in 1999. Now I need to pay the taxes on the original rollover amount. I have done well in the stock market with my IRA and have made no additional cash contributions. Can I withdraw from the Roth to pay the taxes for the rollover conversion. Will I have a 10% penalty and/or taxes on the amount I withdraw. I will not have to touch the original conversion funds???? Anyone been there done that??? Thanks in advance for the reply,

Tom
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dmorey2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19531 of 74759
Subject: Re: Roth early withdraw Date: 2/26/2000 5:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
There must be a cheaper way.Can you borrow from a home equity loan? Don't waste your stock market gains!

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19599 of 74759
Subject: Re: Roth early withdraw Date: 2/28/2000 4:49 PM
Greetings, Tom, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I converted a regular to a Roth IRA in 1999. Now I need to pay the taxes on the original rollover amount. I have done well in the stock market with my IRA and have made no additional cash contributions. Can I withdraw from the Roth to pay the taxes for the rollover conversion. Will I have a 10% penalty and/or taxes on the amount I withdraw. I will not have to touch the original conversion funds???? Anyone been there done that??? Thanks in advance for the reply,>>

Take any money from the conversion IRA before the money has been in that IRA for five tax-years, and you will pay a 10% penalty on anything taken . The Roth IRA considers any withdrawal as coming first from annual contributions, next from amounts converted to a Roth from a traditional IRA, and last from earnings. If that's the only Roth IRA you have, then the first money out is considered conversion money. You can't touch that penalty-free until it's been there for five tax-years.

Regards..Pixy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement